Chapter 13 - - Patton

I woke up to the sound of my mum telling me to, even though it was a Saturday. A glance at my phone told me it was 10am. Yikes.

Sitting up, I yawned and looked around bleary-eyed. I was still tired. Usually, I woke up fresh and ready for the day, but this morning was weird.

Oh right, Logan. I remembered my daily smile then stood up out of bed, wiping away the sleep that had gathered around my eyes. My mum had already left so I changed into my regular clothes and put on my glasses.

Talking to Logan had been fun, but we'd talked into the early hours of the morning. Now I felt like there was a weight on my head and fluff in my brain. The fluff part wasn't too much of a difference, though.

I opened my phone to see a DM from Logan.

KeenForCrofters: Would you be free today to meet up at a later-discussed location?

Pawton.16: That sounds wonderful! Where should we meet?

KeenForCrofters: I'd like to mention that the grammarly installation seems to be working wonders for your grammar.

Pawton.16: I'm not so sure about that, I don't really like it.

KeenForCrofters: Well you're on a free trial so if you wish I could cancel your subscription.

Pawton.16: Oh my god please.

Pawton.16: It will not let me write oh my god, I feel like a heathen.

Pawton.16: O. M. G.
There we go!

KeenForCrofters: Alright, cancelling your subscription.

Pawton.16: wanna meet at warm hug?

Warm hug was a new cafe that had opened near my place. I loved the name but hadn't been there yet, so going with Logan would be exciting.

KeenForCrofters: As impractical as the name 'Warm Hug' is, that sounds good. I will meet you there at two?

We agreed on a time and I told my mum that I was meeting him.

"Have fun," she smiled and PATted my cheek,"But first we have to have lunch."

We ate sandwiches with a cheesy filling and drank home-made lemonade which my mum had made while I was sleeping, which was way too sugary. Just how I liked it.

1:45pm arrived - time for me to leave. I scooped up my phone, keys and money, kissed my mum on the cheek and left the house, walking at a reasonable pace towards Warm Hug.

When I arrived, I could already see Logan ordering his drink. He for some reason received it in a takeaway cup. No... two takeaway cups. He then left the shop and spotted me.

"Ah, Patton. Just on time. I recalled your favourite drink order from last night and went ahead and ordered it. I was thinking we could go and see a movie at the cinema - Big Hero Six is on at a nearby venue," Logan said, not taking many breaths between sentences.

"That sounds great! But I thought Big Hero Six came out a while ago?" I mused.

"I don't know why they're showing it, but they obviously are," he responded, passing me my drink. It was a caramel latte, my favourite. I smiled at him and thanked him for the drink, then decided to buy the movie tickets in return. I took a long sip, then giggled, "I love this a latte!"

"I hope you're not too bitter that I couldn't get them to add more sugar," he joked, looking very uncomfortable and adjusting his glasses. I stopped walking in shock.

"I'm sorry, was the pun not clear beanough?" he continued, now fiddling with his tie. When he saw the look of pure shock on my face, he continued to continue with, "Do you not abrewve?"

I was unable to speak. This man, who I'd never heard crack a joke, just went on a pun tangent.

"I don't know if I can acSIPt this side of you," I managed to pun back. We continued to walk and drink our coffees.

"So why Big Hero Six?" I asked, surprised that Logan would go for that film.

"Are you kidding? The science, the robots, the mixture of cultures," he then went on a tangent about the glory that came in the form of Big Hero Six when I noticed some familiar faces approaching down the street.

"Hey Virgil! Roman!" I called out, cutting off Logan's stream of words. They jumped and looked up when I noticed they were holding hands. A huge grin spread across my face and I looked up at Logan. He didn't seem to have noticed. Roman and Virgil let go of each others hands.

"Hey, Patton," Said Virgil, trying to play it off cool. It was obvious he didn't want to talk about it, and that was fine.

"Hello! Where are you two headed?" I asked, wondering if we should invite them to the cinema with us.

"We're going-" Roman started, but was cut off by Virgil saying,
"Shopping."

That seemed suspicious, but I didn't put too much thought into it. Just as I was about to invite them to the movies, Logan did it for me.

"That sounds fun," pondered Roman, who then looked down at Virgil.

"Yeah, sure," Virgil agreed, then asked what we would be watching. We told them it was Big Hero Six and started to walk towards the cinema, Virgil and Roman dropping behind us a few paces but still getting involved in the conversation.

I saw their hands join again from the corner of my eye and decided not to mention it to Logan who was walking next to me, eyes straight ahead.

When we got to the cinema, I bought mine and Logan's tickets and Virgil bought his and Roman's, muttering something about coffee and owing him.

We walked over to our screening and took our seats. We were lucky to get four in a row at such short notice.

Logan and I shared a sweet and salty popcorn and Roman and Virgil shared a toffee popcorn which they finished very quickly.

Sitting next to Virgil and Roman and not knowing whether they were soulmates was eating away at me throughout the beginning of the movie. I knew it was none of my business but I wanted to be happy for Virgil without assuming anything and making him uncomfortable.

If he wanted to tell me, he could do it in his own time when he wanted to. I settled down with this thought and finally focused on the movie.