Chapter 22 - - Virgil

Our responses to the applications came on Wednesday. All of them offered us an interview, which lead to me and Roman dancing around the room in a weird excited ritual.

Roman and I had our first interviews after school on Friday. His was for Warm Hug and mine was for Starbucks, then I had my interview for the cinema on Saturday and he had his stationary shop interview Sunday, which was odd but apparently they were open 7 days a week.

Snake dad had found a person who'd be willing to let us rent an apartment on the condition we kept good care of it and weren't too loud. It would be available in a couple weeks, and it was pre-furnished, so we wouldn't have to make many trips to IKEA.

For the meantime, we'd just have to keep sleeping in my room, which was starting to feel quite cramped.

Roman hadn't heard from his dad, and he seemed happier for it. He picked up a few chores around the house and would sing Disney songs as he worked, earning the nickname 'Sir Sing-a-Lot' from members of the household. But we still hanged out and watched movies. Our relationship seemed to be taking strides, but I was surprisingly comfortable with it.

I was considering asking Roman if he wanted to put labels on it, but there never seemed to be a good time,so we were just going by 'soulmates', not 'boyfriends', which sounded more serious than boyfriends but when everyone had a soulmate, it was like saying 'relationship pending'.

On Tuesday, Logan and Patton had told us that they were soulmates but had decided to be friends rather than boyfriends, and told us they were probably aro because the thought of a relationship didn't appeal to them. I was happy for them, that they'd explored their relationship and found it was better platonic. It must be nice to have that sort of security.

Roman was hoovering the living room and belting 'I'll make a man out of you', and I was curled up on the sofa, chiming in with the others' lines. It was Thursday, so Logan was at work, hopefully putting in a good word for me as I'd awkwardly and over-politely asked.

I pulled out my Literacy homework and continued to analyse some of Shakespeare's sonnets as we didn't have time to finish our work in the lesson. Roman finished hoovering then attached his phone to the speaker and played 'Where You Are' from Moana, then snatched the papers from my hand and threw them over his shoulder, holding his hand out to me. I took it, smirking at the dramatic  idiot.

He pulled me up and spun me around a couple times, then when I got dizzy just took my hands and swung them in different directions, singing along. I laughed and started singing too, then put a hand on his waist and adopted a casual closed position. (look up closed position if u don't know)

Then it disintegrated and any order our dancing may have had dissolved into wild flailing and laughing fits, spinning each other around sometimes. When the grandma's lines were being sung, Roman did an impression of an old lady that seemed hilarious at the time, then we went back to being stupid.

Snake dad leant against the door frame, a grin on his face.

"Are they high? They definitely seem high," moustache dad said, appearing behind Janus.

"Honey, when would they have bought drugs?" snake dad sighed. That's all I got while I was dancing.

The song ended and Roman and I collapsed on the floor, laughing and panting. I pulled myself across the floor and grabbed my Literacy work which was practically finished.

My work was carelessly stuffed back into my bag.

"Who wants to do a movie night?" asked snake dad, walking in and clapping his hands.

"As long as Remus doesn't pick the movie this time," Roman groaned.

"Of course, that's a given," snake dad grinned at his miffed husband. He opened Netflix on the TV, scrolling through the movie list.

We ended up watching Beetlejuice, with moustache dad making a few comments during the movie but otherwise we stayed pretty quiet throughout.

Snake dad and moustache dad took a sofa and left me and Roman with the smaller sofa, which I felt was planned.

For dinner moustache dad offered to cook which was met with everyone else begging him not to, so Roman and I tried something out.

We made sausages and mash with peas and gravy, Roman on sausages and peas and me on mash and gravy. We finished it relatively quickly and plated it up, taking it through to the dining room. I was lowkey proud of the meal, so if anyone tried flinging any of the food around I may have killed them.

It tasted good, and my last minute decision to add onions to the gravy was a well-received one.

We had our interviews the next day so we had to pick out suitable outfits. Roman only brought some casual clothes from his dad's so he tried to make up a semi-formal outfit with what he could. After all, he was being interviewed at a coffee shop, not a corporation. I went for a same style as Roman, then we folded up those clothes and placed them on the desk for tomorrow. They were formal enough for an interview while also being casual enough for school.

"I can't wait to move in together," Roman smiled at me.

"Me neither," I agreed, then went up on my tiptoes and kissed him on the lips. He put a hand behind my head and waist and kissed back. The feeling it gave me the first time had t changed, and I pulled away and asked him softly,
"Would you like - and uuh, obviously you don't have to say yes, because I'm not pressuring you too and it's fine either way, but basically what I'm trying to say is uh... do you wanna be boyfriends?"

"Of course I would, Virgil," he responded, and kissed the top of my head. Well, that was shockingly easy.