Chapter 28 - - Patton

Logan and I moved in together into a house after college, and he settled into a job teaching  at our old school after taking a few different teaching jobs around the local schools. He loved his job and planning his lessons, and I taught him how to balance teaching and caring for students, which made him the favourite teacher of loads of students.

I started up a guide dog training shelter at the place that used the be the stationary shop which Roman worked at. It was a tough job, but one I enjoyed and could invest myself in.

We'd adopted a great dane who didn't respond well to the training and called him Ed.

Logan and I never got involved in a romantic relationship, it just never appealed to us. People didn't understand this, but we didn't have to explain it either. We were perfectly content where we were.

I was playing in the kitchen with Ed when Logan slumped down the stairs, yawning and stretching, complaining about how tired he was.

"Logan, if you stay up late planning lessons you're going to get tired," I reasoned, knowing him too well for him to get away with lying about it.

"It was necessary, I hadn't got around to planning next month's lessons, and I know it sounds like a while away, but it pays to be prepared," he explained. I shook my head at Ed as though to say 'this guy!', and Logan rolled his eyes.

I started to make toast for the two of us, chatting to Logan about how we were getting a new dog at the shelter to train, and how a few were being given to visually impaired today too. He, in turn, told me about a science test he had to lead at third period, and how he thinks Mx Clover had a thing for Mr Gladly, when he had a husband. Logan wasn't one for gossip, but knew I was and supplied me with it whenever he thought I'd be interested.

"Which science test?" I asked.

"My main subject, biology. Funnily enough, it's on enzymes," he remarked. We smirked at each other, remembering the time he taught me about enzymes in the hallway. The toast popped up and I went to spread Crofters on in, and Logan jumped in and asked,
"Can I do it?"

"What are you, five?" I joked, giving him the knife. He happily spread it, then took a picture of the jar for his Instagram page.

"We're seeing Virgil and Roman tonight!" I smiled, boiling the kettle for a cup of tea.

"We are?" Logan frowned, not aware of the arrangement.

"Yeah, we agreed on it last night on the group chat, we're having pizza at theirs," I explained, confused at why he hadn't seen it.

"Oh, I turned off my phone to focus on the lesson last night," Logan realised, "Seeing Roman and Virgil again sounds enjoyable, though."

"Yeah! It's funny to think we're friends with a borderline celebrity," I giggled, pouring my tea and flavouring it to taste with milk and lots of sugar.

"Roman and Virgil's online presence is overwhelming," Logan agreed, seemingly impressed by their level of fame. They each had a million or more followers on Instagram.

"I don't think we've met Elly since she turned three, have we?" I queried, missing babysitting her and sipping my sweet tea.

"No, perhaps we should get her a gift for when we see her tonight," Logan suggested.

"That's a good idea! I think there's a toy store in the town centre we can go to after work, it sells loads of affordable stuff," I remembered. Logan agreed to that plan and took a bite of his toast, still yawning.

"Oh, also, Lo - did you hear about Roman's dad?" I asked, placing down my mug. Logan shook his head and have me an inquisitive look.

"Ah! Well he actually found his soulmate last week at church!" I revealed, waiting for the flurry of questions from Logan.

"Good for him."

"Don't you have tons of questions?" I gasped, unsure of how Logan could remain so unabashed. Logan sighed, looking irked. He waved his hand, prompting me to tell him my news.

"It was Mx Chapman!" I exclaimed, nearly knocking over my mug with my excited gesture. For the first time in his life, Logan was rendered speechless. I smirked and walked off to the garden, leaving Logan with that bombshell.

I had dressed when I woke up, so my only responsibility before heading off to work was to walk Ed, and I could do that with Logan as he walked to school, and I could go to the dog shelter on the way back which was just by the school.

Ed loved spending some days at the shelter because he got to play with some of the other dogs and got lots of affection from the other people who worked there as I worked on training some dogs and filling out paperwork to sell dogs to people. I was well known in the community because I'd let some schoolkids come in and play with dogs after school if they wanted to and became notorious to parents for letting their kids come back late.

Elly loved the dogs too.

I'm talking all about work, but I'm not even there yet! Ed and I played fetch in the back garden with a chew toy Virgil and Roman had bought us a while back.

It was only 6:30am, so Logan had an hour until he needed to go to work. I always woke up really early, and I'm not sure why. I never had any alarms set, it just happened.

Logan came out to the garden and joined in our game for a bit, throwing around the chew toy and seeing who Ed brought it back to. Most of the time it was me, but Logan sometimes received the spit-covered plastic rabbit Ed loved so much.

Logan then remembered he had to pack a lunch and went back inside, probably making a sandwich before rembering we don't have bread. I went inside to remind him of this as Ed shook the toy rabbit in his mouth, and saw him frown at the bread bin.

"You could make a cous cous salad?" I suggested, showing that I'd become much more adept at cooking and stuff since living with Logan. He nodded and got to work on assembling that, as it was a relatively easy thing to make.

Then the doorbell rang, and I went to answer it.

" Oh, hey Remy, what's up?" I asked upon seeing Logan's dad at the door. Logan walked up behind me and looked over my shoulder.

"Wake up," Remy said in a monotonous and slightly robotic voice.

"What?"

"Wake up," Remy said again, still monotonously but higher than the last. This random phrase was repeated many times, getting higher after each, until Logan and I started to back away cautiously, not knowing what was going on.

When it got too high for our ears to bear, we clapped our hand over them. It was a shame we didn't clap them over our eyes.