Chapter 7

EXPECTATION:

Sloth: I'm an adult! I do grownup things! Independence!

REALITY:

Sloth: *On the phone with Vira* Mother, what are taxes?

~

"Oh, hi," said Virago, completely turning around with the spoon in hand. "I didn't know you were here."

Cain shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck as he walked deeper into the kitchen. "Lucifer called me over."

"Are you two working on something?"

"Yeah. He didn't tell you? We're trying to locate Michael."

The spoon slipped from Virago's hand. The mere mention of his name shot blistering ice through every vein in her body. She gulped, cold sweat sprouting across her forehead. No matter how long ago the day of her death was and even though she had a new body, she could still feel Michael ripping his fist through her.

Cain appeared in front of her, picking up the kitchen utensil. As he handed it back, their fingers softly touched. Cain instantly melted at the sudden spark but Virago remained oblivious. Still, she remained exquisite in his eyes. Elegant, romantic, beautiful beyond comparison. As the female musician from her phone sang about keeping her love to herself, he crumbled as Virago turned to wash the spoon.

Cain cleared his throat. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

It was an urgent response. Straight to the point and full of lies. Cain cleaned the spot where the spoon fell then leaned against the counter. Lucifer gave him the liberty to work out in his gym after their meeting. He just wanted some water, he didn't expect to find Virago in the kitchen at this time. He wished she reacted or at least blushed at the sight of him half-naked. He was as big as Lucifer, so why was she not attracted?

"Look," said Cain, "we don't know each other like that but I give you my word, I would give my life to protect you."

She turned off the faucet and continued to spread the meat with a smile. "Thanks."

Virago had no clue Cain had feelings for her. She hummed along to the song, singing softly in Spanish as Cain melted at her beautiful voice. While he watched her, imagining her cooking for him and just him, she wondered what the boys would want for dessert. She'll probably make them some cookies.

"After you died, Lucifer got in contact with me," Cain continued. "I always wondered why he would want to avenge a Human but I could see why now...and why he wants to keep you to himself."

Keep her to himself? Virago found that odd for him to say. She didn't pay much attention to his words and laughed. "Uh, well, I know it's hard to believe but it happened."

"Why did he find you so interesting?"

"Why are you asking?"

Cain chuckled. "Curiosity?"

"I think that's a question for him, don't you think?

Cain smirked at her response. "I like you, Virago."

"Thanks. I like me, too. I wanna ask you something, though."

Cain's thoughts submerged with questions. Was she interested? Did she want to...try? Part of him hated himself for his envious thoughts but the other screamed that he could keep a secret. "Ask away."

"Did you sell your soul to my husband? 'Cause, Cain, you don't look a day over thirty."

The strange tension Cain was giving grew on Virago. She could finally sense something off with the way he spoke to her.