Chapter 2

Chapter 2 – How Deep is Our Love

Fifteen Years Later

Christopher Brown | April 7th 2020| Tappahannock, VA

"Chris what's wrong?" My father asked as I stared at the freshly waxed court in the arena. I sighed putting the ball between my legs.

"I am just tired man. There's so much going on that I can't catch a break. When I'm not on a court, I'm in the studios, performing, touring, red carpets. I just need a break." I ran a hand down my face, I exhaled in frustration.

"Well that's what you signed up for so you just work it out." He patted my back as leaned back in his chair. I looked out at the court, remembering my first time I stepped foot on this hardwood floor. I was only 17 when I got drafted for the NBA. I was the youngest to take a team to the championships and win. I was ecstatic and with my parents and sister behind me for support, I was destined.

"Who's that?" I looked over to where my father was pointing and I recognized her without even seeing her face. Just her silhouette gave her away. I tried to fight the smile on my face but I couldn't help it. Memories we shared back in Texas filled my head and I could feel the butterflies return after so many years.

I haven't talked to Beyoncé in fifteen years however, we've seen each other at different event and all was said was a quick hello and goodbye. We never really conversed and I was fine with that. She was married now with a little girl. It stung when I found out from Kelly that she was getting married but I caused it upon myself. I was the one who told her to live her life so I can't be upset or hold a grudge. But I know what we shared back in Texas will forever be our connection.

She's been married for 11 years and I've been going through failed attempts during that time as well. Regardless, I'm happy for her, she had accomplished much and that's all I wanted for her anyway.

"That's Beyoncé pop." I spoked as I watch her enter the arena and walked over to a man in a suit. They were having a conversation and by the way she was shifting from leg to leg I know she was annoyed. I chuckled as I watch her flip her hair and her flaring nostrils. It still surprised me how much I remembered the small things she did. I guess when you fall in love with someone, no matter what happened between the two of us, I'll still know her better than anyone else.

"Wait, ain't that the little girl that had you sprung years ago?" He asked with a shocked look on his face. I chuckled nodding my head. "Still sprung." I added. I winced as my father slap the back of my head.

"Why are you so fucking stupid?" He gritted at me. I rubbed my head looking at him. He looked annoyed with me and I couldn't even be made at him. Shit, I agree. I let one of the best things happen to me slip away but time will predict what happens for us.