Distraction | Chapter 18

Anne looked around to see if there was anything she could use to break free, but everything in her surroundings would be of no use to her. Only one thing was left, one thing she didn't think would work, but she had to try. After the strange dream she had felt renewed from her short sleep. She could feel her magic flowing through her like never before. Anne focused her energy on one thing, escaping. She made it her ultimate wish that she would rather be anywhere than here.  The colours of pink and purple swirled around in her eyes, blocking her vision of the large dark factory. Anne felt a strong urge to look down and see if anything was happening, but she willed herself to stay focused. After a few minutes she was starting to get concerned, what if this wasn't doing anything and she was just wasting energy. 

"Believe." The voice filled her head, she had to have hope. No, she corrected herself, faith was what she needed to believe in right now. 

A loud snap echoed around the factory. Anne looked around wondering what direction it came from as her right hand reached up and tucked her hair behind her ear out of habit. Anne paused a second before smiling. She did it, she believed. She didn't even know how she had freed herself, but whatever it was she was grateful that it worked.

A guard came running over, but Anne was already making the motions to form a portal, she knew where she wanted to go. She wanted to see her horse, Concorde. Energy radiating from her, she had never wanted something more. She stepped through the portal and closed it behind her with a fleeting image of a stunned guard catching up to her. Flying through the swirling colours of pink and purple she soon felt ground beneath her feet and stepped forward. Concorde appeared in front of her and she ran forwards to wrap her arms around him. He whinnied happily in response. The pain of being without him was unbearable. She didn't want to let go but she knew what lay ahead. If it was just a dream then everyone would be safe, but if it wasn't ... she couldn't take that chance. 

Anne hastily groomed and tacked Concorde in his stall, he stayed quiet and still as if sensing her urgency. Minutes later she was leading him out of the stable into the dark night. She looked up before mounting Concorde, the sky had clouded over with only a thin sliver of moonlight peeking out. 

Anne decided to ride Concorde out of Jorvik Stables and see if anything would come to her about what the woman in her dream had told her. She thought about what could be "most forgotten." Crickets chirped in the distance as an uneasy feeling washed over her. Something was happening tonight, she didn't know what, but she could feel it. The road was deserted, which was probably for the best, Anne thought. She had no idea what impression her appearance would give, as she herself hadn't even seen it yet. She passed by a small clearing on the way to Jarlaheim when she saw a picnic blanket abandoned on the grass, a memory stirred within her. The Soul Riders together when everything was still peaceful, the wise old tree they had sat under by the shore, and the carefree feeling of fun. But it wasn't like that anymore, maybe it never would be. Anne looked left of Jarlaheim and saw something odd, swirling clouds circled around and around with a tinge of blue and sliver around their edges. 

Her eyes opened widely, "the fields! The forgotten fields!" She whispered excitedly to Concorde. 

><

Linda and Lisa galloped away from Nicole and the dark riders. Linda was worried for how this would turn out, but she remembered the strong power that flowed between the Soul Riders. Though they were in a very tough situation, Linda willed herself to never give up. She pointed ahead to a patch of bushes, Lisa nodded and they slowed down to shelter themselves from prying eyes. 

"Linda ... what happened to Alex? Do you think she's okay?" Lisa mumbled quietly, her face was pale in the shred of moonlight that was left. Nicole had conjured up a patch of swirling clouds that shielded the dark riders from the harsh light Linda had directed at them while galloping away.

"I'm not sure, but I know Alex is strong, she wouldn't want us to worry about her. She would want us to stay strong and have a strategy." Linda whispered in a determined manner, but she knew Alex wouldn't bother with a plan, instead she would rage down and fight harder. Linda gave a small sigh.

Lisa looked as though she wanted to speak but didn't know what to say. She opened her mouth and was cut off by a clap of thunder followed by a harsh downpour of rain. Linda and Lisa looked around bewildered. Linda's glasses soon became covered in droplets of water, she tried to dry them on her shirt but it was no use against the relentless rain, so she stuck them in her pocket.

"Lisa what's happening with the dark riders? I can't see them anymore," Linda shielded her eyes from the rain as she looked at Lisa. Lisa sat up in her saddle, staring out into the distance. Her hands wiped her bangs away from her eyes as she looked around. "They haven't moved, but-" Lisa broke off.

"What?" Linda asked sternly.

"-the rain, its pouring on them too."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I can see them shielding their faces, it looks like they're having a heated conversation with Nicole too," Lisa reported. 

Linda thought for a moment. Nicole might not have meant for it to rain at all. 

"Maybe she can't control it," Linda mused.

Lisa looked at her curiously, "you really think so?"

Linda nodded, "she hasn't been in training for very long, we all know what it's like to lose control. We were taught how to recognize the signs, but the dark riders wouldn't have taught her that. They would have pushed her to the edge."

Linda shivered as Meteor pawed at the ground in discomfort from the pounding rain.

Lisa sat up in her saddle once more,  "they're coming closer! Linda should we turn back?"

"No," Linda said it before she knew what she was saying, she hated giving up. Lisa looked slightly startled at how fast she responded.

"We ... we need a distraction, Rhiannon is going to be crossing the edge of the fields in a few minutes, if I leave soon I can catch up to her." Linda mumbled, while seeing Rhiannon and Nix watching the downpour inside her mind. 

"Are you sure? Will you be able to see them without your glasses?" Lisa asked in a concerned voice.

"I will be fine, and I always have Meteor to guide me," Linda said as she patted his wet fur.

"Okay, so what should I do?" 

"Make a distraction, anything, lead them away. Be loud and fast. They can't know I have left." Linda told her in a hurried whisper.

Lisa nodded, "you should leave now, before they get too close. I will go in that direction," Lisa pointed to the left of them. "And make a distraction."

Linda took a deep breath as she gathered the reins in her hands, "Lisa, may Aideen's light guide you."

"And you," Lisa gave her a parting wave as she rode out of the brush and into the open.

Linda turned Meteor around and galloped away through the rain and rising wind that drowned out the sound of thudding hooves.

><

If you are reading this I would like to thank you for sticking with me so far. I am already working on the next chapter and I will try to release it soon. I'm sorry that this took so long to be published, and I am so glad you are enjoying this story.