Training | Chapter 7

Alex had Nicole rotating around in her mind, she just couldn't stop thinking about what happened. A few days had passed since, and she had already taken shifts, acting as a guard. But Alex was stuck thinking that she wanted to see what Nicole could do, maybe even try and train her. 

Alex had her shift coming up at noon, and decided to head out. Maybe she could ask Fripp, or just try it herself. 

In Fripp's chamber, Linda was there immersed in a book and occasionally asked Fripp questions about what she read. When Alex entered she looked up and grabbed a book mark to stick in between the page. 

"Can I finish reading this at home? I will bring it back tomorrow." Linda asked

Fripp nodded. Once Linda was gone Fripp bounded out of the room, Alex assumed some other library wasn't to far away. 

Nicole looked up at her, Alex scanned the room. Plates and dishes littered it.

"So, how are you doing?" 

"Fine, I wouldn't mind seeing the sun though, I miss it. But at least I have a night sky." She glanced up. 

Alex decided to get right into it, she didn't know how long Fripp would be gone for.

"Do you feel your powers?"

"What?"

"Have you used them yet?" 

"No..." Nicole looked away, like she was reminiscing. 

Alex waited.

"Well, you know when you knocked over your tea?" Alex nodded. "Well I remember concentrating on the water and watching it, and it started rippling. But just where I focused on it, I thought it was sort of weird, but I forgot about it until now."

"Do you want to try and use them now?" Alex asked, she could feel a mounting excitement rising in her.

Nicole looked worried, "Well I, don't know if I should." 

"How can you hurt me? I'm Alex. Trust me, I will be fine." She smiled.

"Should I focus on a element?"

"Anything that works for ya." Alex replied.

Nicole outstretched her hands, trying to do something. She felt stupid. So she focused, hard. She still didn't feel anything so she put all her concentration into making something happen. 

Alex watched her, she saw her face straining, the torches were flickering in the room, like they were being drained. Smouldering out into darkness. She was doing it! Alex thought, she could use her powers. The room went dark. 

"Okay, do you think you could give me some light?" she laughed. "C'mon, I ca-" Alex broke off. A sudden rage of orange fire burst through Nicole's hands. Alex dodged out of the way, diving into the corner. The room was growing hotter and she could smell the smoke, it was burning her throat. She tried calling Nicole's name but there was no response, the room was turning into an inferno. Alex decided she had to act now, she struck Nicole with lighting to get her to stop. 

Finally the flames flickered out of her reach, Alex ran over to Nicole, holding her sleeve over her mouth and squinting her eyes to see through the burning smoke. Alex leaned over Nicole and saw her wide open eyes, almost as if she was caught in a trance. Nicole's eyes had embers flickering orange inside them. The fire was starting to smoulder out and Alex started to worry about what would happen when Fripp came back, what would he do? Fripp's most prized books were kept in here, what if she was the reason they were destroyed forever. Alex shuddered. 

Nicole was still frozen, but the flames were fading out of her eyes, turning to their normal colour. Alex looked back to where the fire struck, a sizable hole was burned into the wall, embers still glowing. The room was getting darker again, Alex turned on her phone's flashlight to see. She heard a sound behind her and jumped. Fripp was returning to the room, a look of shock was locked on his face. Alex walked backwards until she hit a wall behind her. Before she knew it she started running, full speed away. When she reached Tin-Can they galloped away, Alex didn't know where, just that she had to get away. 

She thought about everything that could happen to her. Would she no longer be leader of the druids? Or worse, no longer a Soul Rider? She felt so stupid, she was so excited to see what Nicole could do and now she might never be invited into the Secret Stone Circle again. 

They slowed down by Doyle's Abbey, Alex stopped Tin-Can. She thought for a minute and then walked through. She walked right to Elizabeth's memorial stone. Wilted flowers covered the ground and cards were drapped along it. And one burning candle was on the top.

Alex talked to Elizabeth as though she was there, Elizabeth was her mentor, without her, she didn't know where she'd be. She talked about her failures and everything she felt she'd done wrong. It started to get dark out, but Alex didn't want to leave. 

A rustling stirred her, she looked around and saw Anne. Alex quickly wiped her face. 

"How long have you been there?" She tried to keep her voice steady.

"Long enough to know you need a friend." Anne walked closer and sat beside Alex, leaning back on the gravestone. "I didn't know her very well, but I know she is proud of you Alex." Anne said confidently.

"Is? She's not here anymore. She's gone!" 

"I think she is, I don't think anyone really leaves us, I know she hasn't left you. Her teachings will live on inside you forever." Anne replied.

"How's Nicole?"

"Lisa's with her now, she was a bit shaken up."

"I bet." Alex laid her head on her knees.

"Am I still a Soul Rider?"

"Do you not want to be one?" asked Anne.

"I wouldn't ever not want to be one." 

"Well then you have your answer." Anne gave Alex a hug, and stayed there with Alex untill she was ready to leave.

When Alex rode off, the candle gave a final flicker and burned out.