The Message | Chapter 11

A month had passed since Nicole had disappeared. Anne and Lisa later joined by Linda and Alex scoured Jorvik for any sign of the Dark Riders. Not a trace was left of where they went. Alex's five handpicked druids were now settled in the mountain with piles of books and sacred materials. All the Soul Riders witnessed the vault click behind a rock wall. It was final.

Fripp didn't let them be without something to do, he got them to train with each other and Rhiannon (a wild warden) was their mentor. 

Alex trained all day, if she had to take on the dark riders again, she planned on being triumphant.

Lisa was in the Druid Paddock, made especially for the Soul Riders and all the generations following them. Rhiannon was getting her to avoid lighting strikes, and dodge. She had already been hit five times, they didn't hurt that much... Once you got used to them. Rhiannon said she was improving each day.

The sun was getting low and Lisa decided to take Starshine through the woods to cool down. She heard the wind whispering through the trees and closed her eyes. Lisa felt Starshine moving beneath her, heard his hooves beating softly on the ground. It felt like the world was at peace in those few seconds, or at least that Jorvik was. She opened her eyes again and felt Starshine's soft mane in between her fingers. It was a grey-blue and she liked watching the wind run through his mane because she thought it looked magical.

They weaved in and around the trees until the sun was starting to disappear through the mountains. Lisa decided to head back to her dad and make it in time for dinner. She turned Starshine around and almost fell out of the saddle. A cloaked rider was in front of her riding an ominous horse, with a dark brown body. Lisa studied the pair.

"I have a message that concerns you," the hooded figure spoke. The voice was cautious.

Lisa stayed still, ready to take off if need be. She felt Starshine stiffen beneath her. Before the rider spoke again.

"The dark riders have a weapon that affects the outcome of Jorvik, it could lead to its very destruction." 

Lisa nodded while trying to identify the voice. It sounded feminine, but the dark riders wouldn't warn them of their attack...

"Please protect the island, I know the myths and legends are true, I believe in the four. I believe in you," the voice plead.

The figure looked ready to ride off, but Lisa spoke. "Who are you?"

"I would prefer not to say, but I promise I am not with them." 

Lisa looked thoughtful, "do you have anymore information? Like when they plan to use this... Weapon?"

"I'm not exactly sure, but I heard they were meeting..." The cloaked figure paused. Lisa noticed a small amount of sunlight was left. "I heard they were meeting somewhere soon, but most of the conversation was in code."

The sun was gone now, with fading light left.

"I'm sorry that is all I can tell you, I have to go." The hooded figure turned and rode off. 

Lisa decided to ride back and catch Rhiannon to tell Fripp. She told her dad she would make it home before sun set. Maybe she would get away with it, if only a few minutes late. 

Once she was back in the druid paddock she caught Rhiannon riding off on Nix, her beloved horse. She told Rhiannon what had happened in the woods, watching her alarmed face. She agreed that she would go and tell Fripp. They rode off in opposite directions.

Once Lisa was back on the trail she could see just enough in the light that was left. She made it back to the ranch just as the darkness engulfed Jorvik. She untacked Starshine and turned him out in the paddock and ran to the house. 

Carl Peterson was sitting at the table. A disapproving look was set on his face. Lisa's happiness to finally be home faded. 

"Lisa, we need to talk." 

Lisa walked closer to her dad.

"Your gone with no explanation everyday! And when your home your to tired to talk or eat!"

Lisa looked shocked, she then looked back at her past behaviour and didn't blame her dad for being mad at her. If the roles were reversed she would want to know too. But how could she tell him, what would she tell him? 

"What do you got to say for yourself? As my daughter you can tell me anything I just want to know." 

Lisa held on to her words for a few moments until she finally made a sound. "Well I'm training with Starshine and riding him," she said quietly.

"Training after one hour and I don't see you for the rest of the day because your so tired? Are you feeling depressed or do you have something else to tell me?" Her dad asked in a bold voice.

Lisa got that there was a hint of something else in his voice. She was a teenager and it was summer break, did he think she was sneaking around. Or possibly doing something illegal? She didn't answer, she didn't know what to say. Her mind was a blank.

"I thought Jorvik would be a fresh start, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe we should go somewhere else..." he paused. "I looked into a girls program that's in Europe. Lot's of good reviews and girls your age will be there."

Lisa felt anger starting to course through her, how could sending her away possibly help? Whatever it costs she had to stay. Sadly she agreed with this thought.

"No, I'm not leaving. Think of Starshine! You would only be taking me away from him! I'm almost a legal adult and you want to send me to daycare?" Her face was getting red while her hair looked like a smouldering fire in the light of the room.

Carl looked disappointed at this answer but hopeful at the same time. "How about we try again? Back at the ranch by five... You have a full twelve hours to be away from the ranch in the day."

"Six." Lisa said flatly. 

He sighed. "Fine. Six it is. No matter what be back here by six."

"Why do you care?" Lisa asked him.

"Because I'm your father and I want to make sure you are successful. Especially now." He said gently.

Lisa was about to turn away when her dad stopped her. "One more thing, maybe just stay with the friends I know... Okay? Try and stay away from that Alex girl, I just don't think she is a good influence."

Lisa nodded and turned away, a small smile on her face from what he said. She couldn't wait till she could move out. She loved her dad but she didn't need him meddling in her life. Especially when she was guarding such a big secret from him. She planned on moving out into the guest house in a few months after her 18th birthday. But till then she would just have to deal with it. 

She sighed as she walked up to her room.

><

Linda was feeding her cat Misty when a vision came to her. She didn't see anything except the night sky in it, but also felt a feeling of dread. "Weird," she said to herself. She opened a book where she recorded all her premonitions and visions and wrote: "Twinkling stars mixed with a feeling of dread and an unusually bright moon."

She set her book aside and let the memory fade from her mind.