Turning Back | Chapter 27

Mae didn't know why she woke up in the early morning hours, she sat up in her bed and reached for her phone. A restless feeling had taken over her, and her phone revealed it would be an hour until sunrise. Deciding on a morning ride, she slipped into some riding clothes and pulled on a hoodie for some extra warmth. She caught a glance of herself in the mirror and tried to flatten her mid-length brown hair, her grey eyes looked steely in the dim light. She would have to be back before chores so no one would notice she had left. Mae was attending a summer camp on Jorvik, it was fun for the most part other than the fact that she was alone most of the time.

She rolled up some sheets and stuffed a pillow under her blanket to make it look like someone was in her bed. Mae treaded lightly across the floor so none of the other girls in her cabin would wake and silently opened and closed the door behind her. She would have to locate her favourite horse to ride, Cashew. Cashew was loved by all the other campers and everyone but her seemed to have a chance to ride him. Mae considered herself to be someone who got along with animals but the horse they had her riding lately was becoming quite a pain, literally. A few days ago when she was leading him up of the stable, he bolted and dragged Mae behind him as she tried to gain control. She hadn't. She would not be choosing him for this morning ride. She looked for Cashew in the paddock and then went into the stable. She checked the log, campers were required to record when they take lesson horses out for a ride. Mae let out a sigh, one of the Bobcat girls had him. The Bobcats were a riding club in Moorland, so far they took every chance they had to prove she wasn't good enough to join them. Not that she wanted to anyway. She went back out to the paddock to look for another horse. Buddy, the horse who dragged her last week glared at her. No doubt planning her death for the next time she dared to get near him. She smiled to herself at Buddy's ironic name, he was anything but. Mae's secret name for him was Bully, it suited him much better. She stepped into the paddock, keeping a safe distance from Buddy. She hadn't ridden any of these horses, but she assumed that they would all cooperate better than Buddy. Mae decided on Rosa, a moody mare, but her behavior was good enough. She was about to halter Rosa when she felt a nudge at her back. Mae's nerves made her jump and she let out a gasp. She turned to find a white and brown paint horse behind her. The horse let out a whinny and started sniffing her for treats. Mae hadn't seen this horse here before, she stared at him intently before realizing that he was new. The stables owner purchased him from Jorvik Stables. She heard another girl call him Peanut, she smiled at his cute name. 

"Peanut?" Mae whispered. 

The paint horse reacted and came closer.

"Sorry buddy, I don't have any treats," Mae froze. Buddy in the corner of the paddock heard her and stared intently at her. Mae avoided acknowledging Buddy's existence and hoped he would stop looking at her like she was prey.

Deciding that Peanut would probably be a good horse to ride this morning, Mae led him out of the paddock into the stables. She looked at the saddle holders until she found Peanut's name pinned on one. Tacking Peanut up was a breeze, and soon she was leading him out of the stable towards Nilmers Highland. She led him up to a mounting block and rose up in the saddle easily. The saddle and bridle were worn from what looked like years of use, but Mae didn't mind. 

Mae squeezed Peanut's sides and he began walking, she patted his neck for taking her commands so easily. She squeezed again and he trotted. Mae posted and decided this would be a perfect pace. She had always wanted to cross the bridge in Nilmers Highland, she would do that today. Mae couldn't explain the feeling she had, almost like something was drawing her in. 

Crossing the bridge was scarier than she thought, Mae and Peanut were so high up above the water that she prayed to whatever god that would listen for no planks to break. Eventually, she made it across and passed the Wolf Hall Inn and then took a trail that went to the forgotten fields. This way she could see all those beautiful trees in Golden Hills Valley as she watched the sunrise. The trees cleared and she beheld the sight in front of her. A storm. She stopped posting and Peanut took her aid as a signal to stop.