Chapter 33

Kurt
"Ve vill get ju out of zis, miss. I promise," I murmured. I was pleased to see that her skin was starting to look normal, and her hair was growing back, but she continued to swim in and out of consciousness. I rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb. "I know someone misses you ze vay I miss my family..." I sighed. "True love is ze only zing zat can keep ju alive right now. Even God has his limits in a place like zis..."

My head whipped around fearfully when I heard the door open. I relaxed a bit when Norris said irritably, "Don't worry, I'm not going to hit him again. I just want to say goodbye to him, that's all." 'Goodbye?' The other man sighed. "Don't push it Norris, I mean it..." He grinned. "Oh no no no... I've got something much better than a baton this time....." He stepped in. "I'm here to tell you the good news, demon-boy. You're shipping out. Doubt you'll ever be back." My eyes widened. "But... vhat about Lizzie?" His grin widened. "That's the good part. Come on in, sweetie." I gasped and leapt to my feet as Elizabeth walked in slowly. I took a step towards her. Then, I saw her eyes. They were glazed over, glass-like, practically void of life. She stood meekly by, as if waiting for orders. "Vhat did ju do to her?" I whispered. Norris laughed. "Something you'll be very familiar with soon. Do want to know the last thing she heard before we performed this little trick?" I reached up cautiously and caressed her cheek, but her face stayed as emotionless as ever. "We told her all about Sophie, and how the little dream she had, the one where you loved her, was just an illusion." "She... she vhat?" Norris sneered. "She loved you! Don't know if she still does, or ever will again after what she heard, but hey! At least you can rest easy knowing you'll probably never see her again anyways!" I whipped around, fangs bared. "Vhen I'm done vith ju, ju are going to vish I killed you vhen I vas given ze chance!" I snarled. I leapt at him, but instantly, Elizabeth slid in front of me, throwing me to the ground. I gasped as the air rushed out of my lungs. She ignored the cut I had accidentally inflicted on her shoulder instead of Norris's face and stared intently at me. Norris laughed and ruffled her hair. "Good girl." She straightened and resumed staring straight forward. "Lizzie, please! Zis isn't ju!" Norris laughed again. "She can't hear you. Have fun knowing that you've broken someone's heart, Wagner." I stared at her, tears welling in my eyes. Norris threw over his shoulder as he walked away, "You feel like getting in a prayer or two now, you go for it. I won't interfere." He smiled. "My little going away present to you. Come on." Elizabeth began to follow him out. I grabbed her wrist. "Lizzie, please," I begged. She pulled her hand away, continuing on. My throat constricted, and I leaned against the cot and folded my hands.

I stared at the floor below the chair I was strapped to. Tears blurred my vision. It was my fault. She came to look for me, and she got trapped in an illusion because she was too close. Because of that, she got hurt in the worst way possible..... and that was my fault too. I broke her heart....

Footsteps approached. Stryker sighed. "You wouldn't kill on your own, Wagner. And we couldn't risk long-distance mind-control, unfortunately. Too many variables. But then... we discovered that by removing this genetic material from the body of our mind-control Weapon Twelve, the same weapon who so skillfully built up your fantasy with Sophie and now will build..." He paused. "Well. No need to explain. In a moment, it'll all make sense." Maybe, it would be over soon. Maybe I wouldn't feel anything. I could hope.

Stryker paused. "So quiet this evening, Wagner," he said thoughtfully. "No witty remarks? No genial asides?" I ignored him, staring downward and letting the tears flow. "No I suppose not..." he remarked. "Finding out that your best friend most likely hates you... Well, it may be a little upsetting, I imagine." He pressed the needle into my neck and whispered, "But soon, that will be forgotten."

My mind was screaming, "No! I don't want to do this! Please!" The knife stayed clenched in my hand. The girl's voice echoed through my head. "Go... go... kill....." "No!" Pain sprouted throughout my body, and I teleported.

Norris was grinning. "It's hard to imagine this day getting any better..." I raised the knife. "What's that stink..?" I bore my teeth and struck. Blood spattered everywhere. I growled before disappearing, but inside, I cried, "I'm sorry! You were a terrible person, but you didn't deserve to die..."

Stryker laughed gleefully as I stood before him. "Perfect!" He sneered. "And now, poor, hideous, God-loving Kurt Wagner, you will pay a little visit to the president of the United States....." I wanted to shiver, but instead, I stared blankly ahead, the bloody knife still clenched in my hand.