Chapter 3

Kurt
As night fell, Elizabeth slipped through the gap that divided our prison. She explained quietly that a guard checked on us at night. When they came to do so, I growled and bore my fangs. "Stop it, Kurt!" hissed Elizabeth. "Don't make things worse for yourself by fighting. How do you think I got this collar?" I made a face and sat down, thinking sadly of the chain around my new friend's neck. The guard opened a small slot to place food into the cage. I grinned evilly. That was all I needed. I concentrated on the patch of land that I could see behind the guard, and with a loud "bamf" noise, I was in the road right behind him. Elizabeth let out a scream of surprise. I quickly bashed him over the head, knocking him out cold. Teleporting back, I grabbed her. As soon as she hit the grass, she collapsed, looking and stroking it with her fingers, a look of wonder on her face. "Come on!" I exclaimed as a shout sounded from the truck.  

      She looked up in a panic, her wings unfolding with a snap. "Grab on quickly!" she said urgently as she jumped up. I clutched her with hands and feet around her waist right as she took off. She seemed to be struggling a bit with my weight, but her obvious joy at being free seemed to give her extra energy. Two men jumped out of the truck pulling our former prison and started shooting. I yanked my tail up as a bullet almost hit me. "Hey! Watch it!" I shouted in German (Hallo! Pass auf!). They almost hit us several more times, and I groaned. "I'll be back. Viat here!" I shouted over the wind. I let go and dropped, teleporting so that I shot right into the men. I heard Elizabeth cheer from above. I knocked them both out quickly. Grinning with triumph, I waved to Elizabeth. She waved back, smiling with relief, but a look of panic soon replaced it. She screamed, "Watch out!" right as I was hit over the head from behind, causing me to crumple in a heap before losing consciousness.

    Once again I woke up, but this time, I was in a small, narrow coffin. The air holes were too small for me to see out of. I banged against the top with all of my might, but it did nothing. I heard a voice outside. It spoke in harsh German. "Even if you escaped, the circus wouldn't take you back," it said nastily. "They're the ones that so kindly sold you to us in the first place. Why do you think you felt so tired all of that day? They put a drug in your food at breakfast, and it was only a matter of time before you were knocked out. I have to give you credit, though. You lasted a whole day, when it was supposed to do the job in an hour or two." "You're wrong!" I shouted. "They're my family!" The man made a tutting noise. "Those people aren't your family. They used you to earn money for the circus. When they were offered a larger sum than you and your silly act could earn in a year, they took it. Have you wondered why they've never paid you like the others?" I froze. I had never been paid, but I always thought that it was because I had no need for it. I never went anywhere, and everything I needed had always been available to me for free. "I don't believe you," I said through gritted teeth. "I know them. They love me, just as I love them." The man sighed, feigning pity. "Shame on you for believing that lie," he said. Hot tears began to pour down my face, and I curled into a tight ball, crying silently.