Chapter 32

Elizabeth
By the time I had been here at least a month, I had gotten into a schedule. I woke up, exercised, took a break to do with what I wanted, exercised more, ate, and slept. It was a bit boring, but at the same time, I liked having something I could control.

    One day, that schedule was interrupted by an unexpected visitor: one of the soldiers. I took a fleeting look, and seeing he didn't have food, continued stretching. "I'm not  going to tell you anything," I stated. "I don't care what you offer me." He grinned. "Oh I'm not here for that," he stated gleefully. I stopped and stared at him warily. "Then... what do you want?" I asked. He grinned. "To tell you a little story." My confused expression caused his grin to widen. "Once, there was a girl who was in love with someone, a freak like her. She thought he had finally confessed his own love to her, only to learn it wasn't real. It was all a dream." My eyes widened. "No," I whispered. "You're a liar. You're just making this up!" He laughed and continued. "The kiss, watching the stars, none of it happened! All an illusion! And you know what the boy saw in his illusion? He saw another girl, a girl whom he ran away with, married, and bought a small apartment with. He didn't even think of the other girl, the one that truly loved him!" Tears welled in my eyes. "Liar!" I screamed. He laughed. "Really? How about this?" He began to impersonate Kurt mockingly. "I just... feel like something's missing lately... We can watch the stars fade to sunlight. Then, we can go back and tell everyone about about us, but tonight? Tonight is ours...." He faked retching and laughed. "I don't believe you!" I screamed. "I... I don't..." I broke down sobbing, sinking to the floor. The soldier dragged me up. "Come on," he chuckled. "Let's take you to Stryker."

   My struggles were feeble. I couldn't stop crying. He couldn't have known about that.... I would've noticed if someone was watching us.... so would Kurt..... it was just us, and yet....

   The man pinned me facedown to a table-like chair, strapping my wrists and ankles down. Stryker strode up and swept aside my hair. "Do you know why the broken-hearted are so useful to me, young lady?" I let out a sob. He pressed a needle against my neck. "They're so much easier to control..."

    Everything numbed. My own sorrow stayed, but physical feeling faded. The voice of a little girl whispered, "Come..." I struggled. "No! I don't want to..." Pain tore through my head. "COME!" screamed the little girl shrilly. I stood, despite my mind's protests, and walked over to Stryker. "Good girl..." he whispered. "Go follow Norris," he said, pointing to the blond man that had broken my heart. He continued to smirk like a spoiled child on Christmas, and loathing rose in my throat like bile. "You're going to visit a friend."