Chapter Forty

Lily paced in her room as time passed slowly. She tried to suppress the anxiety she was feeling knowing Jackson could most likely feel it next door, but she couldn't help it. She made sure to keep her mental block up so he wouldn't see all the worst-case scenarios running through her head. Images of Nikolas killing Charlie and taking her away from the pack only for him to return to kill Jackson and everyone else she had come to care for and take over the pack. She didn't want to become his prisoner again.

She tried to shake those thoughts from her head. She was stronger now. She could fight him. Lily didn't know how long she would last against a werewolf no matter how much stronger she was than before, but she knew that as long as she went out fighting she could rest easy. She flipped the script and ran through everything that Ty had taught her in training.

This was it. This would be her chance to prove herself.

As midnight rolled around, Lily tied her into a braid and placed it over her mark. She knew that she didn't completely smell like herself, but hoped that Nikolas would be too caught up in his plans and just assume it was because she was living in the pack house. She changed into a pair of shorts and a tank top, figuring that showing her scars would help her feel more confident in herself. Even though it meant that she was weak in the moment the wounds had happened, she was strong enough to heal and stay alive. She was strong enough to do this; for Charlie and Maisie, for Jackson and the pack. For herself.

Lily knew sneaking out wasn't the smartest thing to do in a pack of wolves with heightened senses. She was just hoping they were all out patrolling the borders or sleeping. To keep herself calm as she climbed out the window and down the pipe, she remember that Charlie would have a good life here; whether lily made it out alive or not. Jackson and Adrienne would make sure of that. She also continued replaying the tactics she had learned to defend herself, so she wouldn't freeze up or forget in the moment.

She made her way to the border, just like Nikolas had instructed. She stayed back and waited until the patrols shift changed, until Erin was at her post, before she revealed herself.

"What are you doing out here?" Erin asked Lily, with an attitude and feigning ignorance. There was a glint in her eyes that gave her away though, and Lily wasn't stupid enough to miss it.

"You already know. But if you really want to play this game, I have... a meeting of sorts."

Erin smiled, but there were evil intentions behind it, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Yeah, we'll see if that changes within the next few minutes." Lily said, but there wasn't enough time for Erin to respond.

A figure emerged from the shadows of the forest. Nikolas glanced towards Erin and looked surprised, yet angry to see her there, "I thought I made it clear that you were to come alone."

What a good actor, Lily thought. "I did. I'm not so stupid as to believe that she isn't in on this. Maybe not the whole thing, but you've got yourself a pawn that'll let you into the pack grounds." She then turned to Erin when a thought popped into her head, "did he offer you something like being the future Luna once he took over? Or was the idea of me being out of your hair a good enough reason to become a traitor?"

Erin snarled at her and went to attack her, but Nikolas held up his arm and calmly said, "enough."

Lily focused her attention back on him, "where is Charlotte?" He didn't answer her, only eyes her suspiciously. "I kept up my end of the deal, now you keep up yours."

Nikolas snapped his fingers and a man, a rogue Lily assumed, came forward with r rope in his hand. Charlotte followed next to him her wrists tied together. When the girl saw Lily her face lit up and she began crying, "momma!"

"Hi baby," Lily said with a sad smile, fighting back the tears. She refused to cry in front of him.

Charlie started running towards Lily, but before she could say anything the rope tugged her backwards. She saw Charlie flinch and assumed the rope was laced with silver.

"Let her come to me." Lily demanded of Nikolas.

He studied her once again as if he didn't trust her, but looked back at the other man and nodded his head at him, "make sure my girl doesn't run off."

Great, another guard. Lily thought to herself, but she didn't say anything as the man tugged Charlie over to her.

"Remove the rope from her hands," Lily said.

"Bossy, bossy." Nikolas said, but nodded again towards the man.

The second Charlie's hands were free, Lily knelt down and pulled her into her arms, holding the back of her head to the crook of her neck. Lily rocked herself back and forth to keep the tears from escaping. "I missed you!" Charlie said, though it was muffled from how close Lily was holding her.

Lily let Charlie pull back, so she could look her in the eyes as she said, "I missed you too. So, so much." She kissed her all over her face over and over again, then examined her daughter from head to toe, making sure she was unharmed. Lily let out a sigh of relief when she could see no signs of abuse.

"Times ticking. I have plans to set in motion, my dear." Nikolas said.

Lily glared at him for a moment before turning her attention back to Charlotte, "I want you to run all the way back to the pack house, okay?" Charlie nodded, "and don't you stop. I'll be right behind you." She hugged Charlotte to her, knowing that she might not see her again. "I love you so much, more than the moon loves the stars." She kissed Charlotte on her forehead, then put her down. "Straight to the pack house and don't stop."

"Okay, momma" Charlotte said before running off.

Lily watched her until her little body got lost before the dense bushes, then turned around to face one of the men who'd made her life hell. Nikolas smirked evilly at her and without turning away, spoke to the other girl in the clearing, "Erin, take her back to the base. I'm not quite finished here yet."

~

Looky looky!

A double update!!! Creativity, don't fail me now!

TM