Free Falling

KAYLA'S POV

I walked through the field, letting the gentle breeze rush across my cheeks. My hair was getting tangled as it whipped in every  

direction around my heart shaped face.

I smiled as the group of birds about five feet in front of me, flew in unison up to the cloudless sky.

The blue sky almost wasn't visible, due to where the yellow birds were all flying so close together.

I watched as one little bird struggled to keep up with his group. The wind kept blowing him in the opposite direction, but he was determined to catch up.

I looked down at my red painted toenails as I walked in the tall grass.

The sun was shining down on me, but it was the pleasant kind of heat. It was perfect, just the right amount of warm, summer breeze.

I now inched closer to the sound of rushing water. There was a waterfall straight ahead.

I looked down at the bottom of the waterfall. The water was extremely blue, almost the same color as the sky, but not exactly.

I inched closer to the edge. I was now standing with my toes hanging off the edge of where the water was rushing down. I wanted to jump.

So much thoughts ran through my head. Not negative thoughts though, only positive ones. I needed to jump. I wanted to jump.

I felt my self creep even closer to the edge of the waterfall. I did jump.

I smiled as the air rushed over my body. I imagined this was how it felt when you went bungee jumping, except this didn't involve a cable.

In a matter of seconds my body collided with the water. It stung a bit, but the water was nice and warm.

I felt my self drift deeper and deeper in the water. I made no effort to go back to the surface. I continued to drift lifelessly to the bottom.

It finally came to me that I needed air, as I collided with the bottom of the muddy floor.

I tried to move my arms, but they weren't working. I struggled with my legs as well but they didn't budge either. I panicked.

I gasped for air, only to feel my lungs with water. I was now engulfed with a burning sensation. I felt helpless as I sat at the bottom lifelessly.

This was it. There was no way out. The burning sensation stopped, I felt nothing as I continued to try and make my arms cooperate.

I felt peaceful. I never had this feeling before. The world around me seemed to stop.

Everything was in slow motion. My heart continued to beat, but barely. My hair around my face was flowing slowly in the crystal clear water.

I lost vision. I felt my heart beat decrease even more. I could see nothing but a blinding, white light. Everything was peaceful. And white.  

*

I woke up in a cold sweat. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I squinted at the clock. 11:00 A.M. It was almost lunch time.

I lifted the blankets off of my sweating body, and crept down the stair case.

I tried to be as quiet as possible, making sure not to wake Jake if he was still asleep.

Sure enough he was still laying on the couch. His mouth was gaped open and he was steadily breathing. He probably wouldn't even wake up if I would've fell down the stairs.

I walked directly into the kitchen. A fresh glass of orange juice sounded delicious right about now.

I grabbed my 'I heart shoes' novelty mug from the wooden cabinets. The mug was a gift from my little cousin about a year ago.

The whole I love shoes theme actually fit with me pretty well. I owned almost every colored pair of converse; I also had a about twenty other pairs such as Toms, Nikes, and even sandals.

I grabbed the orange juice carton out of the fridge.

I carefully poured the juice to the top of the rim, making sure to not make it overflow.

I turned around slowly with my freshly poured drink in my left hand. I shrieked as I dropped the mug shattering it into pieces, and sending orange juice all over the light, grey, tiled floor.

I frowned as Jake stared at me with his big, brown puppy dog eyes.

"Clean it up!" I glared as I cautiously walked around the shattered glass.

He could of told me he was awake. He knows how extremely jumpy I can be.

Now I didn't even have my orange juice or my favorite cup. He better fix me another glass.

I closed my eyes as I waited for Jake to hurry up and clean the mess he caused.

About 5 minutes later he came back and sat next to me on the leather couch.

"About time my little maid" I smirked as I gladly took the newly poured glass of orange juice.

He just shrugged his shoulders and yawned. He didn't seem too amused.

"So what do you want to do today?" Jake questioned.

I shrugged my shoulders,"I don't care, it's up to you." That was always my response when he asked that question.

"Ugh, you always say that" he complained as he folded his arms across his broad chest.

I smirked. "You asked and I gave you an answer. What else do you want?"

He shook his head, knowing that he was going to be the one picking what we did today.

"We'll you do know we missed the first day of fair night, so how bout' we go there tonight?" He asked with a smile forming on his face.

I couldn't say no to that. The fair was probably mine and his favorite thing that ever happened here in Seattle.

"Sounds good to me." I replied not letting him know just how excited I actually was. I was practically doing 200 front flips in my mind, but on the outside I looked completely calm.