The Woods

MARTY'S POV

I woke up to the sound of Tom's hairy fist banging against my locked door. Besides the sound of his fist meeting the wood, the sound of his cursing echoed throughout the house.

I lifted my head from my feather pillow and glanced up at my alarm clock, which was placed on the shelf directly over my bed. It flashed 8:30 A.M. The alarm didn't go off like I planned for it to.

I rolled my eyes and shoved my face into my pillow. After finally getting annoyed of my bosses voice, I rolled back over and rose up from the covers.

I unlocked my bedroom door, causing the constant banging to stop. Tom's face was blood red from all of the screaming he was doing to try and wake me up. I shrugged my shoulders and yawned as I made my way past him.

"I told you to be up and ready by eight o'clock sharp. It's already thirty minutes past the hour! What the heck are you thinking?!" Tom shouted.

"Sorry, I'll get dressed and head out right away." I stated unconvincingly as I walked to my dresser. I heard a few more cursing and mumbling from him as I closed the door behind me.

I got changed into jeans and a tee shirt quickly. I didn't want to get yelled at, and I was actually happy to be anywhere that Tom wasn't. He really gets under my skin.

I grabbed my cellphone, that was laid on the coffee table, before leaving. I closed the front door behind me, not worrying about saying bye.

I hopped in my van and pulled the visor down which revealed my reflection. The bags underneath my eyes looked extremely dark. I was exhausted.

I yawned as I put the vehicle into reverse. I backed out of the driveway slowly. I wasn't in no hurry in getting to her house. I seriously didn't get paid enough for stalking.

I drove to my destination not taking any notice of my surroundings. I was way too familiar with her house, but hey that was my job.

I parked about a mile away from The two story house. I didn't want to get too close though, I wanted to avoid being caught.

Thankfully Kayla's house was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. You turn off the main highway and turn out a long gravel driveway that leads to her home. Also the house is surrounded by woods. There are no other houses around which means there are no neighbors.

It probably looked kind of suspicious of me just parking my vehicle on the side of the road, and just walking instead. I was probably just worrying too much. After all there were no cars that had passed.

I continued to walk at a steady pace, not wanting to look like I was in a hurry if a vehicle did pass. After a few minutes I finally reached the long gravel driveway. I was surprised that I hadn't seen anyone around. The streets were usually extremely busy.

I decided it would be best for me to walk in the woods instead of in the open, just incase Kayla or someone came out the driveway.

I felt kind of stupid as I walked through the woods. What if Kayla did leave her house? I parked so far away that it would almost be impossible to trace where she goes. I should've actually thought that through.

The wind was blowing swiftly today. I shivered just now noticing how cold it actually was. I was in such a rush this morning that I had forgot to grab my coat. I rubbed my hands on my arms back and forth to try and make them heat up. It didn't work.

I reached in my pocket an pulled out my cell phone. Displayed on the screen was the time 9:15. I could already tell it was going to be a long, boring, and did I mention cold day?

I frowned but continued to walk at a steady pace. Again not in any hurry at all. Every step I took made the crunching sound that leaves make. The leaves were now falling, and the bright colors were now fading to brown. The trees would soon be bare as winter approached.

As I walked I noticed a sound that wasn't mine. Besides my feet crunching the leaves something else was crunching them as well. I looked from side to side, but couldn't find anything that could be making the noise.

Every time I took a step it seemed like something took two steps behind me. I turned around only to find nothing. Nothing was there. Nothing but me and the trees, I told my self as I turned back and started walking again.

All of a sudden the crunching started to increase. This time I knew my ears weren't just playing tricks on me, but before I could turn around something ran passed me.

Immediately my eyes caught what the figure was. Actually there were two. It was a brown mama deer and its fawn. I smiled as I watched them disappear through the woods. I was getting worried about two deer. Duh, Marty what did you expect? You are in the middle of the woods. I reminded my self.

A few minutes passed before the house came into my view. It was about time to. It felt like I had walked about five miles, but in reality I had probably only walked a little over two.

I smiled as I reached the edge of the woods. Both vehicles were parked in their driveway. This confirmed they were both here.