Girl, He is Fine

Ten minutes later and he still hasn't replied. I must of really screwed things up this time. He usually replies directly after I text him, but I'm probably just being paranoid. Knowing him he's probably sitting on the toilet scanning over a sports magazine. Typical guy.

I glanced back down at my screen. I scrolled through my outbox and made sure it actually sent. It had.

My patience was slowly slipping away. I typed him a quick text message. 'I'm sorry'

'Ding, ding' My phone signaled that I had received a text. I smiled hoping it was him, but my smile soon turned to a frown.

Bettie's name was displayed on the screen. What the hell could she possibly want? She usually only texts me when she need some money. Don't get me wrong, even though she's as annoying as all get out I still love her.

I pressed the view key, curious to see what she wanted or had to say. It was surprisingly a question.

"Are you gonna be at work tonight?"

I looked up to the right of my screen. It was already 5:46. Where had the time gone?

I replied to her, "yeah, be there shortly.

I rushed to my room and through my hideous work uniform on. It was a poop green and had my name tagged stitched to it in a dull grey color.

I plied on a small amount of make up. After all I wouldn't get any dang tips if I went to the diner looking like I did now.

I put on a small amount of powder. Then next I brushed mascara onto my eyelashes. My eyelashes were so long and beautiful. That was my favorite feature on me. Everything else was just blah. I finished off with putting a coat of light pink lipgloss on my lips.

"Not to bad," I said to myself as I focused on the mirror. I glanced at the time. 5:50. "Shit." I cursed out loud. Not having enough time, I redid my messy bun. Although it didn't make much of a difference.

I stumbled downt the stairs and slammed and fled out the door. I piled into my old truck and tried to start it. After a few failed attempts it finally sputtered to life.

I drove to the diner in silence. No radio. No rain. No Jake. Everything was quiet except the sound of my engine.

Twenty minutes after six I approached the diner. I knew I was going to get a chewing from my boss. Great, just what I need.

I timidly approached the front entrance. As soon as I entered the door I was greeted by my boss. Let me just say he didn't actually look happy.

He grabbed me by the shirt collar and pulled me into his office. Did he think I was a freaking dog? He slammed the door behind me as I took a seat.

"What the hell Kayla!?" I looked at him stunned at his outburst.

This time his voice was shockingly in a normal tone. "You were 20 minutes late. This is the third time this week. Do you seriously think I want my workers showing up later every damn day?!" his voice picked up as he spoke the last few words.

He looked at me and shook his head. He opened his mouth but I stopped him before he had the chance to speak.

"Please don't fire me... I promise I won't arrive late again. I'm so sorry." I apologized frantically.

"Now Ms. Walker, I'm tired of all of your excuses. You know I've been extremely lenient on you; I'm starting to feel as though you are trying to take advantage of me." He stated sternly.

"but.." I croaked. Before I finished my sentence he silenced me by hissing 'shhh', and putting his chubby finger against his lips.

"This is your last chance. If you show up here one more time late you will definitely be fired. Ms. Walker look at me." He demanded.

I looked up from my hands and gazed into his beady eyes.

"Do you understand me?" He questioned. He was now talking to me like I was a freaking kindergarten student. He pisses me off. "Uhem," he cleared his throat and continued to glare at me.

"Yes sir," I replied politely. I wondered what he would do if I jumped over the desk and started beating him with his telephone.

I started to chuckle at my own thought, but stopped myself before I managed to get myself into even more trouble.

"Now get to work." He commanded.

I left his office silently and walked to the back of the diner to meet up with Betty.

"Girlllllllll, what the hell did that beady eyed, fat ass talk to you about now?" Betty questioned.

She was about in her mid-twenties in age. She was kinda on the chubby side and she had dark skin. Her eyes were a deep chocolate color and her hair ran down all the way to the middle of her back.

"Nothing," was all I replied.

"Mhm, whatever." She stated with some major attitude. She rolled her eyes and walked to the other side away from me.

I rolled my eyes and scanned the room for Jake. He was a no show. Where the heck could he be; I soon felt myself getting extremely worried.

I stepped over to where Betty was standing. She was chatting like usual to some other coworkers that I didn't know the names of.

"Can I talk to you?" I questioned Betty. She turned to face her group of friends.

"Hey y'all I'll be back in a few." she stated with a Cajun drawl. Did I mention she was from Louisiana?

"Have you heard from Jake?" I hissed as we walked out the door. It was are break.

"No, why do you ask?" She questioned with a puzzled expression spreading across her face.

I explained to her what all went down today. She listened intently to every word I said. After I was finished talking she finally spoke.

"Girl... You know where he's at? He's probably laid up on his couch watching the sports channel, drowning himself with a few alcoholic beverages." I looked at her confused as she continued to talk.

"And do you know why he's probably drinking his pain away?"

I shook my head side to side. No.

"Because he's in looooove with you and you're to stupid to realize it." she drew the word love out for about 10 seconds. She continued to talk.

"And being the dumb girl you are, you decided to kick him out of your house. Girl, if I had a fine boy like that living with me I would never make him leave." She shook her head.

She did have a point. I was extremely stupid for having the nerve to kick him out. What was I thinking?

Bettie's wise words gave me a lot to think about. After my work shift was over, I drove home and thought about all the thing she had said earlier.

I needed to apologize to Jake...Soon!