Before the First

(page i of 126)

        “Hey Curly!” Jonathan shouted at the top of his lungs. His group of friends laughed and followed his actions like the app Talking Tom. “Wassup Curlz!” they muttered.

        I just peeked to look at their ugly and scary faces and saw how entertained they are right now. What is it now? I cried it out mentally.  If only I was strong enough to ask them for real.

            “Hey I don’t have any assignment in Calculus yet. Give me yours.”

            “I...I uhm” I mumbled.

            “What is it? Speak louder you nerd!” He raised his very masculine voice enough for some of my classmates to look at us. Now I feel that ten or more eyes were looking at me, laughing at me being so weak.

            I half-heartedly look into my backpack and showed him my assignment in Calculus, which I have worked so hard last night. He grabbed it forcefully from my hand and looked at it with his eyebrows curled as if he was trying to assess my work as if he could understand the derivatives and integrals written on it.

            “What is this?” he asked coldly. I knew he didn’t understand it with his empty head so I peered into my paper to look at what is he asking about. To my surprise he was pointing at my name. My heart started to beat faster and blood started to rush out from my limbs as I felt it to feel colder. Literally I swore I knew that colors escaped out of my body. “Why do you have your name written on this!” he shouted at me so loud that made me flinch and cover one of my ears with my pointy finger.

            “Ooh wrong move Curlz!” added by one of his troop. “You shouldn’t have done that!”

            “Where do you think I would place my name here?!” Jonathan screamed. He pounded my desk with his brawny arms that could be approximately twice as mine.  My heart started to pound faster and my brain felt so light that it made me think that I am about to collapse out of lack of oxygen.

            “I’ll, I’ll just cross it out.” I stuttered. I tried to regain my paper back but Jonathan moved it away by raising it with his arms fully stretched out. Now that made realize that he is very tall and I’m puny compared to him. “Do you think I’m stupid?” he asked. Honestly yes. Yes I do think you are the dumbest I answered only in my head. “The teachers would definitely know that I copied from you! Are you really thinking or the curliness of your hair made you crazy.” His gang again sucked into his words and giggled like a fan boy they were.  I bit my lip out of fear and frustration.

            “You know what?” he threw away my paper and moved closer to me, closer to my face. His ugly features zoomed to my perspective that would be surely fuelling my nightmares. “I think I have to straighten up that curly hair of yours with my fist, don’t you think?” Jonathan fisted his hand and place it near my cheeks just enough to feel it warmth transfer to cold sweaty cheeks.

            “I think you’re right.” a boy interjected. His eyes were looking at us coldly shielded by a blue-chromed ray-ban frame and his face is stern and brimming with boredom though his voice sounded warm. He was holding a blue book on one of his hands and a paper on the other. “But I’m afraid you won’t ever get to receive your assignment. You see, when you punched his face and in some magical way you were successful to straighten his hair then you wouldn’t have any reason to terrorize him. His hair would be straight like yours, like mine so what’s your reason of bullying him?  Are you bullying him because he is smarter than you or are you bullying him because you’re plainly dumb and the only thing you could do right is to punch things? Wouldn’t it be pointless? You know dude, punching is not gonna punch away your lapses your flaws your stupidity. Violence shall never ever be the key to success in life.” the boy sighed.

            “Who do you think you are? You yap all around and you think you know a lot of things!” Jonathan gritted his teeth and he walked towards him. His gang seems to be held astonished with this guy’s audacity that their mouth is practically open. The boy just smiled goofily and looked at the blackboard. With this event being this intense how could he act like Jonathan, a person as twice as bulky as him, was nothing, how could he have that slouchy and collected look that it he seems to portray everything was cool?

            “Is this what you want? An assignment?” he waved the paper on his hand into the air and Jonathan took it from him, ballistic.  Jonathan read the paper and he smiled crookedly. “Huh? What do you know? I have an assignment.” He turned his back to the boy and went back to his gang. When they were finally gone from the room to take their recess the boy had already took a seat and was reading the blue book he was holding earlier. I don’t want any personal interaction but I know that I have to thank him for what he has done.  But he looks like he was so serious reading his book that I thought I would just have to talk to him later. So I picked up my assignment and went back to my seat and ate my snack. I wonder, who is this guy. He is so different, like a book character I know.