Third: The Accident (21)

Third:

The Accident

21

(page 35 of 126)

The students celebrated as this day denotes the end of the hell week. Honestly, I struggled with the exams and all the other paper works that I all have to pass. My body can feel being recharged by vigour and excitement with just the thought that we could rest for now. But soon enough the fatality and stress promises to be back.

We agreed that the four of us should meet at the gate of the University at 7pm. It was 30 minutes past 7 but Eureka and Sydney are still not with us. If Matt wasn’t with me, I would have probably lost my mind because of the anxiety its giving me.

“Where are they? Are they alright? Should we get them?” I asked pacing back and forth. Though, I am being delirious right now, Matt seem to have gathered his cool and was looking at me puzzled.

“Luke, relax. This is just a party.” For ‘just a party’ he really prepared for this. He was wearing a nice black jacket, with an ash gray tee underneath. He even brushed his curly dark hair though no noticeable change could be seen. He said he was bound to get a girl with his looks for tonight.

As for me, I just wore my light blue flannel shirt and matched it with a pair of black jeans and sneakers.

“Relax? They’re 30 minutes late now, what if...”

“Oh, there’s Sydney now.” Matt cut me out and he wasn’t lying; Sydney was walking towards us dressed elegantly as usual. If people would have judge her white nightdress, people would have thought that she’ll be attending a formal party that has forks that shall be only used with desserts attended by fancy people with monocles. Yup, she overdressed.

“Where’s the wedding?” I teased. She just rolled her eyes to me and smiled. Yes we were fine now. Wounds heal, I guess.

“So, are we good to go?” she puckered her lips.

“We’re still waiting for someone,” Matt answered. Just seeing the two of them side by side makes me think that we are going to a formal party.

“Maybe we should check up on her.” I muttered.

A figure appeared right in front of us before we even started to move our feet.

“Eureka!” Matt said. She was breathing heavily from running. She was still wearing her working uniform.

“Eureka! Where were you?” I grabbed her by the arm.

“There was just some problem at work.”

“I was really worried about you, Eureka.” I whispered to her, though I think Matt and Sydney could still hear me.

“I know, I’m sorry, that’s why I hurried as soon as the store was close.”

I gazed at her eyes and she held it for a second that feels like an eternity and I thought the party was already.

“Do you girls have a slightly different concept of time? Like you’re thirty minutes late in time? I asked Eureka. The both of them just shrugged.

***

The stereo was roaring Macklemore music and the people were dancing with its beat, violently shaking their head and arms. They bounce and dance like there were no other people or like all the people were watching them. Just looking at them move makes me feel breathless.

I was left behind by the three, at the table so that they could join in the mass jubilation. Someone offered me a drink and I accepted it but the night passed and never drank it.

I decided that it was getting late and I’m not feeling any ‘fun’, so I joined in the crowd and searched for any one of them. Then I saw Matt standing near a table talking to a girl. She was beautiful, with her semi-curly hair dyed hair and probably Matt’s type and they were flirting. I can’t believe it. A girl buying Matt’s jokes? It’s either something is wrong with her or the alcohol made Matt a better flirter. I walked past behind them thinking that it’s Matt’s time to shine but then I noticed Sydney and Tyron, her “class partner”, kissing. I knew that guy is into Sid. What’s with these drinks anyway?

Out of confusion, I returned to our table and considered drinking. The liquid smelled fruity so I decided to take a sip and it tasted awful. Why do they even love drinking this? It doesn’t taste any good.

“You don’t like the drink?” Eureka asked joining me at the table. She looks freshened up even though the place was hot and humid.

“How did you know?” The music was so loud I couldn’t hear myself talking.

“Cause you’re looking at your glass contemptuously”

“Me, no? I love the drink that’s why I’m scrutinizing it.” I lied.

“Scrutinizing it?”

“Yup, so that when I drink another, I would appreciate it better.” I drank the whole glass to prove a point but the taste was just unbearable, I feel my face contouring.

“Luke, are you fine?”

“Why do say that? Of course I’m fine.” I felt my head getting lighter, like I was losing my brain.

“But you don’t look fine.” She laughingly mentioned.

The place felt to be moving around in circles. No not in circles, in random swirl. The world was spinning and for the first time I felt it. I wanted to focus to Eureka’s face but I couldn’t. Eureka grabbed my glasses from my face and now I could see only blur.

“Maybe, if you couldn’t see, you won’t feel nauseated.” She conjectured noticing my head swaying unstably.

“Interesting hypothesis Eureka, but it just makes me feel a lot worse.” Now my head feels a lot heavier, it made me want to sleep. She held my jaw and returned my glasses and then I realized that she was sitting so close to me, that her face is all I could see.

"How could you have been drunk by drinking a single glass of a mix drink?" she asked. I could smell her breath. It smelled fruity like the drink.

"Well, it is a mix drink so it has alcohol in it."

"But it has little alcohol in it."

“Well, maybe because I was in a state of placebo effect.”

“You use the word "well" too much when you're drunk.”

“Well I don't” I purposefully used ‘well’. She then gave me her genuine laughter. It’s contagious and I can't help it.

“I like your brain.”

“Oh yeah? Well, I like all of you, even back when I was 14.” She was quiet all of a sudden. “You know what's funny? Our name matches."I continued.

“How?”

“My name, it sounds like look as in to search and your name, Eureka, it means "I have found". I came Luke-ing for you and Eureka, I have found you."

“When did you came up with that?”

“Just now.” I widely grinned at her.

“Well, then, just now I really like all of you.”

“Really?” I asked incredulously.

She pulled the collar of my shirt with both of her hands and our lips have met firmly, like the two of them were jigsaw puzzle that fits together.

Her lips were soft and I have no memory of the rest of the night.