Second: The Meeting (16-18)

16

(page 8 of 126)

      She still lingers on my head. She had this certain effect on me. Maybe that’s what she calls as Eureka effect.

      What bothers me was her very existence. She came out of the book and I couldn’t just ignore that. She was still different. Good different not freakishly weird different. Could she live normally without knowing that fact?

      I felt hesitant about it but I decided to re-read her book, re-read her so I could know something more about her mystery.

Since my original book was wiped clean, suspecting that she caused it, I downloaded an e-book copy of A Starless Night and started to read pages randomly.

      “The job I got was not bad. Not bad at all.”  Eureka told Darwin. He was looking at the plain sky, lay back on the grassy field that they’re at.

            “Was it, really?” he asked. His voice sounded deeper than before.

            “Yeah, it’s fun.” 

            “Good. I’m happy for you.”

            Eureka pressed Iris’s buttons randomly “Thanks, I guess.”

“You know what? I’m twice happier than you right now.” Darwin sat straight up and looked at Eureka grinning, like he had an evil plot on his head. “First, you got yourself a job, second I’ll get to see you regularly now.”

            “Ooh, right because I coincidentally ended working on your favourite restaurant.” Yes coincidentally, because Eureka haven’t planned it at all.

            “Right! Now I am going to see you tomorrow and the next day and the next day...”Darwin continued on and on and started laughing with his shoulders shaking and his eyes squinting.

I stopped reading. A pint of pain rose up from my stomach to my throat. I grabbed my phone and dialled Matt’s phone. I just hope that they’re together right now. If only Eureka had a phone (that works) I would call her directly.

“Hey Luke! You’re on the right timing!” I could hear a loud music from the background.

“What is it?’

“Eureka got herself a job!”

“What?” it came out weak.

“Eureka talk to him,” I could hear Matt’s phone shifting. “Luke, it’s me Eureka!” she’s trying to overpower the loud volume of the background.

“Yeah?”

“I got a job at We Deliver! Isn’t it fun? Right now we’re randomly dancing! ”

I could see myself on the mirror, my eyes were wide and my mouth is practically agape.

“Luke? Luke? Are you still there?”

17

(page 10 of 126)

      My mother convinced me that I should go back to Los Baños early in the morning. By early, it means 5:30 in the morning. So when I had taken the bus, I just fell asleep throughout the trip and successfully have woken up before my stop. That is kind of awesome of my body.

      I arrived at our campus at 7:32 A.M. I got less than an hour for my first class and that’s just enough time for me to get to We Deliver.