BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter 6

Brazos Bride

Chapter Six

The noose of fear and dread that had tightened around Hope's neck had loosened when Micah said, "I do." She thought surely no bride and groom had ever been more somber during a marriage ceremony than she and Micah. A make-believe marriage brought her a measure of security, but not joy. Only knowing the ceremony completed another step of her plan to stay alive brought any pleasure. Believing she no longer presented an easy target lightened her mood and lessened her fatigue.

She still had to discover who was trying to poison her. With a husband in line to inherit her ranch if she died, surely the killer would stop his efforts. If, God forbid, her aunt and Tio were the culprits, they'd go back to their own ranch now and leave her in peace.

Before the ceremony Micah had disappeared after a hushed conversation with John Henderson, then returned shaven and with shined boots.

While Micah had been out of the room, she'd handed John a letter for her aunt and Tio. By the time Micah and she dealt with the solicitor and the bank and arrived later at the ranch, Aunt Sofia and Tio Jorge would have had time to adjust to the news. But-whether they were party to poisoning her or not-they wouldn't be happy with her. Would they fight the marriage?

She looked at her new husband and smiled. Not the joyous grin a new bride should offer, but the closest she could manage. At least, now there were two of them to stand together. She had an ally-even though she'd had to bribe him-to help her in her battle to survive.

Micah took her hand and looped it through his arm. Surprised at the tingles his touch aroused, she fought her reaction. She must keep her emotions in check, just as she had all her life. Her parents had drummed into her that displays of affection-public or private-equated weakness. Life, more specifically the situation threatening hers, required strength and dignity.

"Well, Mrs. Stone, are you ready to leave?" His smile deepened dimples on each side of his mouth.

My word, his eyes devoured her. Micah's gaze ignited a pool of warmth low in her abdomen. Her legs became young willow branches and threatened to fail her. Oh, dear, she couldn't betray how he affected her or have him thinking there was a chance for more than they'd agreed on. She straightened her shoulders and spoke with cool measure.

"Yes, we must hurry to talk with my solicitor before the bank closes. I am sure you will want the legalities out of the way so you can acquire your funds."

He clenched his jaw and the sparkle left his eyes. Instantly she regretted her cold words.

He looked down at her. "Water's what I need most. Soon as your cowboys know we're wed, I'll move my cattle to the river."

She nodded. Why couldn't she be friendly and open? She'd never learned how, that's why. No wonder Theresa and Ramona were her only friends. And now Micah. Even though Micah benefited from their arrangement, he'd agreed to put himself in jeopardy to aid her.

He helped her into the buggy, and she sagged against the cushioned seat. She'd been on her feet far too long after the jouncing buggy ride to town this morning. Thank goodness Theresa and Mrs. Henderson had urged her to rest.

Hope usually brought a change of clothes and her night things when she came to visit Theresa in the event she was too tired to return home that day. Micah set Hope's bag under the seat then he climbed into the buggy beside her.

How easy it would be to run away, escape from the horrible pain of knowing someone near her wanted her dead. Hope had shouldered adult responsibilities in the household and on the ranch for most of her years with never a kind word when things went well. Her father had plenty to say-often accompanied by hard blows-when she failed to meet his wishes. She refused to abandon the birthright she'd earned. With Micah's help she'd defeat the villain trying to kill her.