BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Seven

Brazos Bride
Chapter Twenty-seven

Hope had embroidered until she thought her eyes would cross. The memory of the snake in her bed haunted her, horrified her. She’d been shot at and received poison in her food. Why was a reptile in her bed worse? Unable to reason her intense repulsion, recalling the venomous serpent had tightened her fraying nerves to the breaking point.
Her room was supposed to be a haven, not a death trap. Her mind refused to focus on anything but thoughts of relaxing innocently in bed only to be attacked by striking fangs. If not for her husband’s care, she would have shattered.
She thanked God for Micah’s presence. A blush heated her cheeks. His lovemaking had thrust away all thoughts but him. Her husband’s tenderness should not have surprised her, but she had not imagined any man could be so gentle. Nor that she could act with complete abandon. Warmth infused her. She feared her companions would notice her lack of focus.
Instead, Ramona laid aside her mending. “If you will excuse me, I will take a bit of fresh air.” She rose and walked from the sunroom.
When Hope started to rise also, Eduardo shook his head. “You must remain inside. I promised your husband, so do not make a liar of me. You do not want him to pound me to the ground, do you?”
Hope sighed, wishing she could whoosh away danger as easily. “No, I only want this nightmare to end happily for us.” She stood. “I can walk around in the house, can I not?”
He shrugged, his usual comment.
She walked toward the large windows along the sunroom’s outer wall. She caught sight of Ramona walking briskly toward the rose garden. She saw what looked like a man’s arm loop across her shoulders and pull Ramona around the corner of a cedar. How odd.
“Eduardo? Do you know if Ramona has a-an amante?”
“How would I know this? She is your friend.”
“But she is also your friend? She confided to me that she hopes someday to marry you.” 
He widened his eyes. “Me marry Ramona? Never!”
“But you flirt with her whenever you see her.”
He shrugged again. “Am I not a man? If she wishes to flirt with me, I would never be so rude as to ignore her.”
Hope knew Eduardo’s charm eased him through life. “You must like her as a friend at least. We have known one another all our lives.”
“My sweet cousin, always I tolerate Ramona because you wish me to do so.”
Prickles of wariness shot down her spine. “Come with me. We must learn who has joined her in the garden.”
Hope raced up the stairs with Eduardo on her heels. In Micah’s bedroom, she eased along the wall until she could observe the garden without being seen. She gasped. Ramona and Diego Gonzales kissed.
Perhaps he had forced himself on her. No, when he would have pulled away, Ramona pulled him back for another kiss.
“Shhh.” Eduardo put his fingers to his lips, then spoke quietly. “That does not look like she is in love with me.”
“I don’t understand. Why would she let him near her?”
Her cousin threw off his carefree air. Seldom had she seen this part of his personality. “You must stay here. Promise me you will remain inside the hacienda, in this room. I must follow Diego.”
“Alone? No, please do not.” She tugged on his arm to restrain him.
“Micah said I cannot leave you alone, but I should follow Diego. I will get the aunts to come sit with you.” He gently removed her hand.
“And if a gunman comes, what can the aunts do?”
He grabbed her shoulders. “Lock the doors and stay in this room until your husband, he returns. I must follow Diego. That man, he is the key to everything that has happened. Of this I am sure.” Eduardo slipped from the room.
Hope locked the door. She returned to watch Ramona with the horrid Diego. What madness had come over her friend even to associate with such a man? And she had kissed him!
Ramona turned and flounced toward the house. Invisible from Ramona’s location, Eduardo followed Diego from the garden. Hope lost sight of the men as they turned behind the house. 
Did Eduardo have a gun? His horse? His vaqueros? She stepped toward the balcony to get a better view just as Ramona looked upward. Her smug expression became a scowl, and she hurried toward the house.
Hope hugged her arms. That Ramona had partnered with Diego was unthinkable. She and Ramona had been friends all their lives. But so had Eduardo and he did not like Ramona. Hope suspected Micah also did not approve of Ramona, although he was very courteous.
What should she do? She was alone with only the aunts and her household staff to help. But Ramona would never attempt to hurt her, would she?
Thoughts whirled in Hope’s mind. When she was ill, Ramona hovered. Taking care of her. Seeing she took her tonic. Making sure she ate her meals. The open balcony doors last night after Ramona preceded her upstairs.
Hope sank onto the bed. No! Not her friend. A woman she trusted like a sister.
The doorknob rattled. “Hope, open the door.”
“Not now, Ramona. I have a headache and must rest.” She looked around the room. Nothing handy that could make a weapon. Micah’s razor! She folded it and hid it in her hand. Even with the door locked, holding it soothed her.
No, she was being silly. Wasn’t she? She sank back onto the bed and waited for Micah’s return.
“You don’t look as if you have a headache.” Ramona entered from the dressing room.
Hope jumped.
“Foolish woman, you didn’t lock the door to your mama’s room.” 
She slid from the bed to face Ramona. “I do have a headache. That’s why I left the sunroom.”
“You’re not good at lying. You were spying on me, weren’t you?”
“N-no, not until I saw there was a man with you.” Hope gazed into Ramona’s cold eyes. Anger and hatred radiated from the woman she’d called friend. “Why were you with Diego? You know what a dangerous man he is.”
“As if you could understand. Diego is muy macho. Soon he will be wealthier than even your papa.” Ramona walked toward Hope slowly, a cat stalking a bird.
I will not be your prey any longer. Keep her talking, stall for time.
“I understand now it was you who poisoned Mama and me. But why?”
“Your arrogant mama said you should no longer associate with me because I am only the granddaughter of your cook. Do you remember?”
Hope did. She and Mama had argued, one of the few times she had stood up to her mother. “Surely that was no reason to poison her.”
Haughtily raising her chin, Ramona snapped her fingers. “Reason enough.”
“But why me? Have I not always treated you as my sister? Shared everything with you?”
“Sister?” Ramona yelled. “Did I have my own money to do with as I wish? Were there fine dresses in my armoire? Did I get to parade around as the daughter of a wealthy don?”
“You know I would have given you anything you wished had I known.”
“But it would be charity, when I deserve the same as you. You stupid woman, did you even care that my abuela, she is the niece of your mas abuela?”
“Truly?” She and Ramona were related? “How could I know? I only saw Aiyana twice a year. My parents, they said she was a mean-spirited woman.”
Now Hope saw the resemblance between Ramona and the fierce Aiyana. So it must be true. All this time Ramona had begrudged Hope everything. A terrible new suspicion crept into Hope’s mind.
“And Papa. Was that you also?”
Ramona tossed her head. “Of course. You know I am an expert shot. If you had not moved your, oh, so pretty, little head on your wedding night, I would have shot you then.” She rushed Hope and grabbed her arm. “But this time you won’t escape.” She dragged Hope toward the balcony. “You’re going to have a terrible accident. I’ll try to save you, but what a pity I won’t succeed.”
Hope screamed for help.
“Shut up!” Ramona raised her arm to strike Hope.
Unfolding the razor with a flick of her wrist, Hope sliced at her assailant’s arm. And screamed again and again.
Ramona shrieked, “Aii, you worthless puta! Look what you’ve done.” Heedless of the razor and the blood running from her wound, Ramona lunged at Hope. She successfully grabbed Hope’s arm and fought for the razor.
Someone pounded on the door.
Maggie called, “Hope, what’s going on? Let us in.”
“Through the other bedroom,” Hope screamed.
Ramona’s rage gave her added vigor. Hope hadn’t recovered all her strength and couldn’t hold her own against Ramona. With a last push of effort, Hope tripped Ramona and they both went flying to the floor.
The aunts rushed from the dressing area. At the same time, Consuela unlocked the main door. She, Maria, and Tomasina hurried in. Consuela and Maria each grabbed one of Ramona’s arms. From behind, Tomasina held onto Ramona’s hair that had come unbound in the struggle.
Kicking and writhing, Ramona screeched, “You cannot win! Diego will save me. We will kill you all, you will see.”
Consuela said, “Let us place her in the linen closet until we get more help. It locks and she won’t escape.” 
Hope threw down the razor. “I cut her badly. What about her arms?”
Maria harumphed. “She would have killed you. Let her treat herself until the sheriff arrives. There are bandages in with the linens.”
The three women shoved a still screeching and kicking Ramona into the closet. Such expletives as Hope had never heard poured from her former friend’s mouth. Except now she realized that Ramona had never been her friend. Tears of sorrow and regret...and relief poured down Hope’s cheeks.
Consuela pulled out a key from her chatelaine’s ring. “My, she is very strong. I am afraid the lock, she will be able to kick it free.”
Wiping her cheeks, Hope said, “Tomasina, please hurry and get the men from the corral and barn. Send one for the sheriff and tell everyone else to bring rope.”
Lizzie took her hand. “Dear, you’ve cut yourself too. Sister, better get our doctoring box.”
Hope placed a restraining hand on Maggie’s arm. “It can wait, can it not? We must insure Ramona does not escape. She murdered my parents and tried to kill me. If she gets free, she will harm others.”
Where was Micah? If only he were here to comfort her and reassure her. And where was Eduardo?