BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty

Micah opened his eyes reluctantly, cursing morning. Must be time to get up. Hell of a headache. Damn, what had he done to deserve the pounding in his brain? Slowly, memories surfaced.
The rifle barrel aiming over the boulder.
Throwing himself in front of Hope.
Eduardo riding up.
Hope sitting beside the bed clasping his hand.
Joel and Zach making him drink water.
Micah turned his head toward the soft breath fanning his cheek.  Hope slept snuggled against his body, her head next to his on the pillow. When he tried to roll to his side to watch her, she opened her eyes.
He smiled. “For a minute there, angel, I thought maybe I’d died and gone to heaven.”
She placed a finger on his lips. “Do not even joke of such a thing. You lost so much blood, I thought we would lose you.”
Grateful she didn’t leap up, he kept his grin. “Takes more than a knock on the head to kill a Stone.”
She returned his smile. “That is what las tias told me. I am glad they spoke the truth.” Her fingers locked with his. “I grew too tired to keep watch the first night, so Joel sent me to bed while he and Zach took turns. I insisted I would care for you yesterday and this night. They said I could keep watch last night only if I would lie beside you and rest.”
He’d have to thank his brothers, but he noticed she wasn’t under the covers with him. A light blanket covered her. “Joel and Zach catch the gunman?”
She rose on her elbow. “No. They searched the first evening and all yesterday, but it grew dark and they lost the trail. They will go again this morning.” She looked toward the window. “Soon, I think.”
He eased his hand free from hers and slid his arm around her shoulders. “Mighty nice waking up like this.”
“It was not nice watching you unconscious. You should have awakened yesterday, but you kept falling asleep again. If you did not come to this morning, we were going to send for Dr. Ross.”
But she let him tug her back against his shoulder. “Worth getting shot to have you next to me.” Damn, he probably shouldn’t have said that. He didn’t want her getting all skittish and jumping off the bed.
“I must ring for Maria to bring you hot broth for breakfast.” She started to rise.
He pulled her back. “Reckon she’ll be up here on her own soon enough. I like having just you and me here. We don’t get much alone time.” None would be correct, except for their short ride.
He sensed her relax against his side. “What happed to my head? Feels like a blacksmith is hammering horseshoes in there.”
“Do you not remember? We explained yesterday.”
“Reckon my thinking is muddled. I get flashes, but it doesn’t make sense.”
“First, Doctor Ross sewed up your scalp where the bullet gouged. He admitted the aunts had already done a fine job treating your injuries.”
“Must account for the headache.” He raised his hand to his head. “Hurts like a sonofab...gun.” His probing fingers found the knot on the back of his head. “Dang, there’s a goose egg back there.”
“When you passed out, your head hit a stone. The doctor said a blow only a tiny bit lower would have killed you.” She leaned on her elbow and a grin tugged the corners of her mouth upward. “Zach disagreed. He said you are too hard-headed to die from a head injury.” She sobered. “Oh, I was so frightened! Zach only tried to lessen my fear.”
He gently tugged her beside him. “True, though. All us boys been hit on the head more times than we can count. Naturally thick skulls, I reckon, so don’t you worry. We’re a hardy lot.”  
Her hand blazed a trail where it rested on his chest. As she spoke, her fingers twirled his chest hairs. He knew she wasn’t teasing, didn’t realize the effect her touch created. He stilled, willing her to remain beside him, touching him. He bent the leg nearest her to prevent her noticing the result of her touch.
He hadn’t lied. This moment of heaven, of having his dreams at least partly realized, was worth being shot. If she never shared his bed again, she was here beside him for this instant.
He caressed her arms, then turned her face upward and leaned to brush his lips against hers. “That’s a proper good morning.”
“Then I shall remember to greet Joel and Zach the same way.” Sparkles of mischief shone in her beautiful eyes.
“No, you won’t. Not unless you want me to shoot my own brothers.” How wonderful to see laughter shining in her eyes! She had looked near death when they wed, and already healing had begun.
“Were you not afraid you would encounter your brothers in the War?” She gasped, “Forgive me, I should not have asked.”
“For however long, you’re my wife and have every right.” He exhaled at the pain her question aroused. “Running into them was my greatest fear. I thank God we fought in different states.”
“I thank God with you. You are fine men and I would not have wanted you to make that choice.”
“There was no choice. I would die before I shot one of my brothers.”
“That I know.”
“Do you mean you have begun to care for me a little?”
Before she could answer, a soft knock interrupted. Maria entered carrying a tray, followed by Lizzie. So much for being alone.