BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Nineteen

Brazos Bride
Chapter Nineteen

 Joel slept fitfully and waked as the downstairs clock chimed midnight. Pale moonlight filtered through his window in the silent house. He slid into his britches and crept into Micah’s room. Both nurse and patient slept soundly.
For only a second, he debated his course. Should he let both of them sleep while he kept watch? Should he scoot Hope beside Micah where she belonged? Aw, hell, what a situation. Decision made, he strode toward the bed.
He scooped Hope into his arms and walked toward the passage between Micah’s and her rooms.
She gasped, fighting for release. “Put me down.”
He tightened his grip. “You’re done in, little sister. You’re going to your room and sleep in your bed.”
“I will do no such thing. Micah needs me.”
Hell, that was an understatement, but no use telling her that. “He needs someone, but Zach and I will take turns. You won’t help him by giving yourself a relapse.” Carrying her, he used the passageway between Micah’s room and hers.
She slumped against him. “I give you my word I tried to remain awake. I could not, not even for the man who saved my life.”
“Your husband, Hope. He’s your husband, and he would gladly give his life to save yours. Don’t waste the gift he’s given you.”
She raised her head and searched his face. He didn’t suppose she liked what she saw there, especially not if she read his mind.
“You are mad at me, are you not? Mad because I fell asleep?”
“I didn’t expect you to keep watch. You’re the one who insisted. But no more. You need rest, and rest is what you’ll have.” He set her on her bed. Stupid thing, her and Micah having different beds, no matter what kind of marriage they shared.
She slid to her feet. “I must stay with Micah.”
He stood in front of her and crossed his arms. “Either you climb between those covers and go to sleep or I’ll raise the house. Do you want your servants and my sweet, elderly aunts roused at this hour?”
Her eyes widened. “B-But I said I would sit with him. He’s my husband. ”
“That he is, and you’d do well to remember that fact. But he’s my brother and I’ve done my share of taking care of him since he was born. I can do it for a while longer.” Wouldn’t have to after they caught the killer, not if she’d realize what a fine husband she had. Then Joel would know his youngest brother was all set up in life and there’d only be Zach to see settled and happy.
She twisted her hands together. “Well...”
He saw her judging him, and figured she wondered if he’d really stir the household. Damned if he wouldn’t call her bluff if she pushed him. “You get into that bed now or I’ll bellow for Maria to help you. The noise will bring everyone.”
“I am going.” She sat in a chair and reached for the buttonhook, but she didn’t unfasten her shoes. She eyed him warily.
He pointed a finger at her when what he wanted was to whup her backside for not returning Micah’s love. “I’ll be back in five minutes to check. You’d better be in bed or I’m raising a ruckus.
She glared at him. “Go on then,” she snapped. “I will prepare for bed.” She undid her shoes so roughly it was a wonder she didn’t damage them.
Let her fume. He was in no mood to pamper her other than keeping her safe. She was his concern only because she was important to his brother. So she’d had a sad life--lots of people had. They didn’t go around taking advantage of lovesick men who had more principles than common sense.
Joel returned to Micah’s side. He poured a cup of water and forced Micah to drink.
When he opened his eyes, Micah frowned. “Hope?”
“Sent her to bed. She was all give out.”
“Good. Needs rest.”
“She wanted to stay with you, but I made her go to bed. You know how good I am at giving orders.”
Micah smiled and closed his eyes. In seconds he’d dropped back into dreams.
Joel watched his baby brother. Sure, Micah was a man now, but still six years younger, and would always hold a special place in his heart. Zach might be the peacemaker, but Micah threw himself intently into every task. Joel worried his brother would burn himself out. So much drive and passion stored up, enough for any two normal men. If Hope couldn’t see that, she was a fool.
Reclaiming his pocket watch, Joel checked the time before moving to the balcony door. Wisps of cloud hid most of the moon. Nothing stirred, but a coyote howled in the distance. He’d howl too if it would help this crazy situation.
He returned to Hope’s room, still mad that she didn’t share his brother’s bed.
He opened the door, and saw she slept soundly so he turned and went back to Micah’s room.
Where the hell were the missing cattle? Who had shot at Micah and poisoned Hope? Other than preventing Micah’s hanging, damned if they’d made any progress since he and Zach arrived in this godforsaken town. All that’d happened to move things along was this hoax marriage. Even if things didn’t work out between his brother and Hope, at least Micah gained more land and much needed cash, and their cattle had water.
But damn, all of that would taste like sawdust to Micah if he lost Hope.