BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Twenty Three

Micah held his hands out from his side as if to dismiss the sheriff’s judgement. “I mean no threat. I merely wanted to show you how easily rumors can start. Having been a target because of lies, I intend to make sure our cousin does not suffer as I did.”
If spite of Hope’s anger at Micah’s duplicity, she was very proud of him today. But after telling her they were partners, he had hidden facts from her. Even her cousin aided in the plan.
Pounding his fisted right hand into his left palm, Tio Jorge yelled, “Enough of this talk! I want my son released now! This very minute, do you understand?”
Sheriff Ryan scratched at his chin for a few seconds, then addressed Tio Jorge. “All right, but you see he stays in this county.” He nodded at his deputy.
The deputy grabbed the keys and walked toward Eduardo’s cell.
Ryan whirled on Micah. “And you and your bunch don’t interfere in this investigation. You got that?”
Hope mustered as much of her parents’ attitude as she could. “As a part of my husband’s ‘bunch,’ Sheriff Ryan, I resent your attitude. Surely you know my husband and his brothers are former lawmen. My father nominated you for this job. And have you forgotten who contributes most of the money for your salary and that of your deputies?”
“Now, Miss Mon...uh, Miz Stone, I can’t forget that. You know I always try to be fair. But a lawman has to look at everything concerning any case. A murder is a challenge.”  
Eduardo had left the cell and straightened his waistcoat and tie before he came to stand with his father. He shook hands with Micah, Micah’s brothers, and Wooster and thanked each man for riding to his defense.
He leaned over and kissed Hope’s cheek. “Thank you, sweet Hope, for your faith in me.” He gave a slight bow to her and Ramona. “Ladies, please excuse me.”
Pride in her cousin’s demeanor warmed Hope. For a moment she forgot her anger toward him for conspiring with her husband without telling her.
Eduardo smiled at his father. “Shall we go now, Papa?”
Hope blinked when Ramona left her side and followed Eduardo and his father onto the boardwalk.
Ramona touched Eduardo’s sleeve to stop him. “I know you are innocent of this murder. Have I not known you all our lives? Did we not play together as children? Always you protect women.”
Eduardo had stopped, and he smiled at Ramona, but stepped away from her hand. “Thank you for your faith. Please excuse my father and me, but we must hurry home so Mama will know I am free.”
“But of course.”
He bowed slightly and long strides carried him toward where his father waited. Ramona appeared to stare after the two men, but her face was hidden from those inside the sheriff’s office.
Hope rose and excused herself before she walked out of the sheriff’s office. “Ramona, I must call on your abuela while I’m in town. Is she settling in?”
“Very well. Now she realizes how nice it is to do only as she pleases. Perhaps it is time I moved back to your hacienda.” An intense expression on her face, Ramona studied Hope. “That is, if I am still welcome.”
Hope clasped her friend’s hands. “Of course you are welcome. Your room is just as you left it.” She turned to Micah, who followed closely behind her. “Did you hear? Ramona is ready to move back home now.”
Micah stopped to help her into the buggy. He offered a brief smile. “That’s good news, Ramona. I know my wife has missed having you nearby.”
Hope thought he looked displeased in spite of his words.
Ramona tilted her head. “You don’t mind?”
He helped Ramona sit beside Hope. “Certainly not. Hope has said you are like her sister. My brothers are there with me, so how could I object to you also living there?” He walked around and climbed onto the seat.
 Ramona leaned forward to speak to him. “Your brothers live with you? Have they no homes of their own?”
Micah clicked the reins and the horses moved along the street. “Yes, they do, but they’re helping me with a problem. It’ll be settled soon enough, and then they’ll return to their homes.”
Joel, Zach, and Wooster followed the buggy.
Hope also knew Micah would return to his home as soon as the problem was solved. A sharp pain centered in her heart. She’d grown used to his presence and that of his brothers. And Maggie and Lizzie, how she would miss the aunts. Face it Hope, you’ll miss each of them, but Micah most of all.
She sighed. “You’ll love the aunts’ cooking, Ramona. I know Annunciata is a wonderful cook, but wait until you taste the meals Micah’s aunts prepare. Pure heaven.”
Ramona snapped, “Please do not say so to Abuela. She is just now content, but would find your statement an insult.”
Hope stung from her friend’s reaction. “Surely you know I meant no offense.”
Ramona faced her and smiled. “Por favor, I thought only of my abuela’s feelings.” 
 “Of course.” Hope told Micah, “It’s the casita on the left under the large cottonwoods.”
“Nice place.” Micah pulled the buggy into the small yard and climbed down and assisted both women. “I’ll wait outside while you two take care of whatever it is you plan.”
Micah watched the women hurry into the cottage. He studied the newly painted adobe with a red tiled roof. The one-story house appeared large enough for a couple of bedrooms. From where he stood at the building’s corner, he spotted a garden in the backyard. Hens scratched the dirt, and a shed housed a cow. “Looks like the old cook is set up pretty well.”
“Miss Hope has always been generous,” Wooster said. He shifted from one foot to the other. “Reckon I ought to head back to the ranch?”
“Restless?” Micah laughed. “Don’t blame you, but I have a better idea. Head over to the Red Horse Saloon and see if you hear anything helpful.”
“I’ll go with you, Wooster,” Joel said. “I don’t think any of us should ride alone until this thing’s over. Micah, Zach, you wait here and shepherd the women. Wooster and I’ll head back to the ranch after we listen around.”
“Good idea.” Micah wondered if his big brother would ever relinquish command to him. He shouldn’t complain, not after both Joel and Zach had dropped their lives to rush to his aid.  But he had to admit that at times he tired of being treated as the youngest. Surely they were old enough to be equals now.
Instead of the sharp comment that sprang into his mind, he said, “We’ll pull out as soon as we pry the women away from town.”
Joel and Wooster let their horses amble along as if they had all the time in the world. The men dismounted, tied the horses near a water trough, and strode inside the Red Horse.
At a corner of the former cook’s house, Micah watched the saloon’s doorway. “Wish we could see inside. If the three hardasses are there, wonder if they’ll cause a ruckus?”
Removing his hat and wiping the hatband, Zach settled it back onto his head.   “Could they have known Daisy watched them and killed her?”
“Wondered the same thing. Damn, I’m sick of not knowing. Someone’s playing us for fools.”
“Not just us, Micah. Look at Hope’s family. Parents murdered, her near to death before she figured a way to save herself. Eduardo wrongly accused. There’s crafty planning going on and it didn’t start with you.”
“You’re right, but I’ve been treading water, getting nowhere, and about to drown. By now we should have caught the skunk. Only I think there’s more than one person involved in this scheme.”
“We’ll catch the bastards. Saints be praised, here comes Hope and her friend. Let’s get out of this place.”
Micah lifted Hope onto the buggy seat, then took Ramona’s bag and stowed it before helping her beside his wife. He wished he could be happier about Ramona returning to the ranch, and felt small for begrudging Hope her friend’s company. Hell, he saw little enough of his wife now. With Ramona back, would he and Hope ever be alone?
He clicked to the horses and the buggy had started moving. Suddenly the Red Horse doors opened. Wooster and Joel walked out and mounted their horses.
Joel and Wooster caught up with them.
Micah halted the buggy. “You did some quick reconnoitering.”
“Bartender kicked us out. Said he’d had enough trouble from our crowd.” Joel’s stoic expression gave no hint to his thoughts, but Micah knew his brother was plenty mad. “Told us he didn’t need our business or our money.”
Zach asked, “The men Eduardo told us about?”
Joel’s composed façade slipped and anger sparked from his eyes. “Yeah, they were there and laughing. Do I have to tell you that I don’t like being the butt of a joke?”
Wooster scratched his chin. “First time I ever been thrown out of a saloon. Agree with Joel. I don’t like it.”
“Let’s head for the ranch.” Micah snapped the reins.
  Joel, Zach, and Wooster dropped back to ride behind the buggy.
The women chattered and Micah halfway tuned them out. He concentrated on watching for mischief while he mulled over questions swirling in his mind. Only when Hope nudged him, did he jerk back to her conversation.
“Micah, did you hear? Ramona asked your plans for the ranch.” She widened her eyes and pulled a face.
Micah smiled at her. “I’ve no wish to change anything my wife has set up. Did you have a suggestion?” He loved saying my wife. How he wished Hope truly was his wife in deed as well as name.
“No.” Ramona fluttered her hand in a dismissive gesture. “But of course, I know nothing of such things. Always my concern is only for Hope and for my abuela.”
Hope patted Ramona’s arm. “And Alejandro. Don’t forget your brother.”
Micah thought, Whoa! “Ramona, Alejandro is your brother? I didn’t know that.”
Another fluttery gesture from Ramona accompanied, “But he can look after himself. He is very strong and does he not ride like a true vaquero?”
Hope clapped her hands together. “Oh, yes, he rides very well. Remember when we were children and he stood on his horse for us? After we saw the circus performers and he wanted to impress us.”
“Sí, this is true. He tried all the tricks he had seen done by the acrobats. I thought he would break his neck, but he did not.”
Micah considered this while the women chatted about their childhood. He’d missed out knowing Alejandro and Ramona were siblings. What else had he overlooked? He paid close attention to the women’s conversation now in case more facts came up in their reminiscences.
The women had shared a lifetime of experiences. Perhaps his jealousy for his wife’s attention created his opinion, but he disliked Ramona. Lines in her face bore witness to her usual somber expression. Her eyes were too close set to be pleasing and he thought they lacked any hint of kindness. He wished she would remain with her grandmother. Too late. They had turned onto the ranch road and neared the house.
Zach rode beside him. He spoke low, so only Micah could hear. “I get that right about Alejandro being her brother?”
Micah turned toward his brother. “Interesting news, right?”
“Keep your ears open. No telling what we’ll we find out next?” Zach kneed his horse and rode toward the stables.