BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Sixteen

Brazos Bride

Chapter Sixteen

The next morning, sounds of laughter from the kitchen greeted Hope. How long had it been since she’d heard laughter in this house?

Never!

A great symphony could not have pleased her more. She peeked into the kitchen. Micah and his brothers sat at the large table while the aunts and Tomasina busily prepared breakfast.

"It sounds like a party in here," Hope said as she stepped into the room.

Micah jumped up and held a chair for her. "Maria said you’d rung for her, but I didn’t expect you down so early."

She smiled at his courtesy as she slid into the seat. "What are your plans for the day?"

He sat down beside her. "I’ve already spoken to your foreman, Wooster. He said you’ve lost over a hundred head of cattle in the last two months."

She pressed her hands against her cheeks. "A hundred! In only two months?" She calculated the cost in her head. "I have a large herd, but no rancher can sustain those losses if they continue."

"He has no suspects. Thinks they’re local because a few at a time disappear. Said he hasn’t been able to track the rustlers far enough to catch them. Your uncle had told him to stay here and concentrate on protecting the ones left rather than going after those that were missing."

From the disgust displayed on Micah’s face, she believed he disagreed with her uncle’s orders. So did she.

"What will you do?" She looked at each man.

Micah explained, "We’ll lay a trap. Wooster seems like a nice enough guy, and I suppose we’ll have to trust him."

Zach raised an eyebrow. "Up to a point anyway."

"First," Joel said, "we’ll scout around and try to locate the missing cattle. If only a few at a time are disappearing, the rustlers are probably holding them somewhere nearby for a big drive."

"We drew straws and I won." Zach grinned at Hope. "I get to stay here today while those two are in the heat hunting for missing cattle."

Maggie pointed a wooden spoon at Zach. "That’s good. Maria helped us empty our trunks and they’re ready to be put away. We brought enough food for today, but we need to know what’s in the smokehouse so we can plan meals."

Zach held up his hands in defeat. "I’m supposed to watch out for Hope, remember?"

Tomasina said, "Señoras, I will ask Alejandro to put your trunks in the attic. Hanging in the smoke house and cold room we have much beef and pork. There are chickens out back in the coop. The root cellar has potatoes, carrots, yams, turnips, and apples. A few pears, but almost they are gone. The garden behind the hacienda has fresh vegetables. Already we have peas, beans, tomatoes, greens, and onions. Melons, more fruit, and corn will be ripe in June. Also, there are orchards."

"Lands sakes, we’ll eat like kings and queens," Lizzie Mae said.

Hope thought that perhaps this seemed like a very prosperous home to the Stones. To her, the laughter she’d heard this morning was worth more cash than any bank could hold. Imagine, pure joy in this house.

She looked at the aunts, smile lines etched into both their faces. The care she’d seen on the brother’s faces had been replaced and each appeared relaxed and comfortable with one another. Micah winked at her, his dimples deepening in a smile. Warmth spread through Hope. Although only for a short while, for now she was part of this cheerful family.