Chapter Three

Brazos Bride 

Chapter Three

Theresa Henderson opened the door. Inside the house, Micah's heart hit his boots when he saw Hope. One of the first things he'd noticed the day they met was her thick, glossy black hair that shone with red and gold in the light. Now it looked dull even in the sunshine pouring through the window. 

Her robust beauty had reminded him of a china doll with rosy cheeks, full pink lips, and smooth-as-satin skin. Today she offered him a thin smile that failed to light her wide eyes. Dark circles shadowed her cheeks beneath her sad gaze. The rose colored chair she sat in contrasted to her skin, creating an effect that more resembled a death mask than the vibrant woman he recalled. 

Remembering her striking figure, he thought she had lost at least twenty pounds. He reckoned he did a poor job of hiding his shock because, when she met his gaze, her sherry brown eyes shone with what he took for understanding tinged with sadness. 

His dirty hat clutched to his chest, he swallowed the lump in his throat. "Miss Montoya, you sent for me?" 

"Thank you for coming, Mr. Stone."  

Back straight and head high, she sat with her delicate hands folded on her lap. Whatever was on her mind didn't stop her from conducting herself like a queen. But then, she'd always been an elegant lady. Too good for a man like him. 

Theresa indicated the rose velvet sofa. "Please, won't you gentlemen sit down? Mother Henderson asked you to excuse her absence, but she's supervising something in the kitchen." 

Micah nodded. That explained the tempting aromas that reminded him that he and his brothers had hardly taken time for breakfast before sunup. "John said he needed to get back to the newspaper office. He'll work through until the paper's ready to print." 

Theresa laughed. "As I expected. He lives there more than here." 

Zach perched on one end of the fancy sofa as if he feared it would break. Micah took the other end with as much caution. He and his brother were each big men packed with plenty of muscle. When he didn't hear cracking wood, he exhaled and eased back.  

Though Hope's eyes no longer sparkled, she smiled at him. His heartbeat increased and he offered her a grin. Damn, he probably looked like a sappy schoolboy. He sure as hell felt like one. His heart beat a tattoo and his stomach twirled like a tornado simply from being in the same room as Hope Montoya. 

He hadn't seen her since the horror of his court trial. "Your note-"  

She held up her hand to stay further conversation. "Theresa and her mother-in-law have offered the judge's study to allow us privacy. Mr. Stone"-she glanced from Micah to his brother-"Mr. Micah Stone, perhaps you'll offer your arm?" 

Micah leapt up while Hope rose slowly and looped her hand around his arm. Her slight weight tugged when she leaned on him for support. He slowed his steps to match hers and she led him down a wide hall to the side of the house.  

After they entered the judge's study, she sank onto a cushioned chair by the hearth. "Would you close the door, please?"  

Micah complied then sat across from her.  

"First, please allow me to tell you why I'm here." As if she shared his tension, she toyed with the folds of a silky skirt the color of spring lilacs. Her fingers made nervous little pleats in the fabric and then smoothed them out.  

"My friend Ramona, my aunt and uncle, and the doctor say I have the same sickness that took my mother's life, but I disagree to a point." Her gaze met his. "Someone has been poisoning me. I think whatever has been used was put in my food or medicine for several months. But then, perhaps the same thing happened to my mother." She paused, breathing heavily from the exertion of talking.