BRAZOS BRIDE, Chapter Seventeen

Brazos Bride

Chapter Seventeen

When Maria told her lunch was served, Hope hurried downstairs. Her cares dissipated with the assurance of good food and a protector. At least, here inside her home, safety cocooned her.

After lunch and another rest, Hope’s time with Zach passed as it had that morning, except that he kept her laughing at antics he and his brothers had gotten into when they were growing up. She suspected he embroidered the tales to entertain her. How she envied their life, even though they’d had little cash and worked hard. They had the things she’d been denied--love, siblings, affectionate parents, happiness. At least for a while, she was part of that lucky family and she planned to soak up enough memories to last her forever.

Micah and Joel didn’t return until evening. Her heartbeat increased when Micah entered the room. Now, now, don’t forget your goal.

Dust and sweat covered the two men and mud clung to their boots. Both appeared weary.

Tired he might be, but Micah was all smiles. "The cattle are at the river, and we started rebuilding the fence along the new property lines."

Joel plopped down on a kitchen chair. "Don’t know as the fence is a priority," he sent Zach a knowing gaze, "but the cattle are soaking up that water."

Maggie thumped a wooden spoon against Joel’s head. "You know better than to bring all that dirt in here with you. It’s clear you boys have been on your own too long and need some civilizing."

Lizzie laughed while she basted a ham. "We’re just the ladies who can remind them of their manners, aren’t we, Hope?"

Hope smiled, wondering how to answer.

Joel and Micah headed for the wash room. Zach laughed at their retreat.

As Lizzie slid the ham into the holding oven, Tomasina grabbed a broom and her face lit with excitement. "Before the food we set out, I will sweep the mud and dirt out of the way so no one tracks it through the house."

Hope marveled at the transformation in the little maid. Already Tomasina had changed from painfully shy to easy camaraderie with the aunts. Perhaps she’d been afraid of Annunciata. Did the two older aunts have a positive affect on everyone?

Consuela and Maria bustled in. The housekeeper asked, "What may we do to help you?"

Lizzie said, "You just sit a spell. I know you’re really in charge of the household, Consuela, so don’t think I’m giving you orders."

"Sister and I indulged in a nap," Maggie said "A siesta, I believe it’s called."

Zach gaped at them. "You two took a nap? Never knew you to slow down long enough."

"Consuela told us it’s a custom here." Maggie gazed at her sister for confirmation.

"It’s a lovely practice." Lizzie said. "Perked me right up."

"Because of the heat in Mexico, it is necessary to rest in the afternoon," Consuela explained.

Hope nodded. "It was the only indulgence my father made for our staff." Too late she realized what she’d said. Her face heated and she slid her hands to her cheeks. "I mean, it was a custom he continued."

Micah came back in, brushing his fingers through his wet hair. "You don’t have to apologize, Hope. We all understand."

She started to deny an apology, but fell silent. Why bother? Everyone knew her father was a hard man.

Micah smiled at her. "You look more rested. Are you hungry?"

She returned his grin. How she longed to touch the dimple that appeared whenever he smiled. "Ravenous. The smells in this room are wonderful."

Lizzie slid the ham on to a platter. "That’s what cooks like to hear. Wait until you taste what Maggie made for dessert."

Zach sniffed. "Smells like apple dumplings."

Lizzie motioned to them. "Go on into the dining room. Maggie and I will take turns serving." She raised her eyebrows and nodded toward the food.

Either Maggie or Lizzie remained in the kitchen while another brought food. Happy chatter filled the room, and Hope savored it--another memory to store.

Micah leaned near and spoke low. "You’re very quiet. Tired or have I put my foot in it again?"

"Merely enjoying the food, the conversation, and the company."

He beamed at her. "That’s all right then. Did you rest today?"

"When Zach was not telling me about you three growing up." She raised an eyebrow at him.

His eyes widened. "Oh no, has he been filling your head with nonsense yarns?"

"I do not think they were tall tales. Each sounded like a bunch of boys involved in mischief to me."

Micah reached over and poked Zach. "Hey, you been tattling on me to my wife?"

"Just telling it like it is--or was."

Micah shot him a glare. "Like what?"

"Remember when we crawled through that cave and you got stuck?"

Joel laughed. "And Papa had to come pull you out. Now that was scary for a while."

"Still is. I sometimes have nightmares about it." Micah brushed a hand across his face, as if wiping away a memory.

Zach said, "Sorry, didn’t know it haunted you or I wouldn’t have told it."

Hope leaned forward. "I liked the one about you finding the rattlesnake in your boot. I am sorry, Micah, it must have been frightening to a boy, but the way Zach told it was very funny."

"Well, now I see the humor, since nobody got bitten. But then it liked to have made me pe...jump out of my pants. That snake was six feet long and mad."

Joel said, "Micah, it was two feet long. A six foot rattler couldn’t fit in a kid’s boot."

Micah shook his head. "So you say. Sure looked six feet long when it shimmied out. Nothing worse than a rattler."

Everyone laughed.

Micah joined in. "Reminds me of that time when we were camped out down by the border, and that rattler tried to crawl in Joel’s bedroll. Never knew big brother could move that fast."

Hope listened to the brothers trying to top one another’s stories. She couldn’t remember when she’d laughed so much, but the effort cost her. In spite of her interest in the conversation, she yawned.

Micah paused and peered at her. "We’ve tired you. I’ll help you to your room."

Hope rang the bell beside her plate. "No need. Maria will help."

Maria appeared. "Ah, Señora Hope. I see you are ready for your rest."

Hope looked over her shoulder as she left the room, loath to miss out on more of the conversation. She could almost believe the aunts and brothers were her family. Don’t lose sight of your goal, she warned herself. They’re here only until the killer is caught, then you won’t need them.

Right, she would then be free. Would she not?