BRAZOS BRIDE Chapter Twenty Nine

Brazos Bride

Chapter Twenty-nine

When the sheriff and his deputies had left and only Micah and his family remained with her, Hope asked for the chase details. Micah repeated the part he knew.

Joel said, “The big man of those three talked. He said it was Pedro who killed Daisy. She refused to let him go to her room. He waited for her to go to the privy and choked her.”

Zach rubbed his jaw. “Whew, that Pedro has one mean mouth. Never heard some of those curses before. But when he started talking, we couldn’t shut him up.”

Hope shivered and moved nearer Micah.

A somber expression displaced Eduardo’s usual smile.  “Most frightening for me was Ramona’s plan. Even though never would I have agreed, Ramona, she planned for us to wed. After we were married, she would have killed my parents so I would own both ranches. Then she would murder me and marry Diego.” Looking pleased, Eduardo strutted to the fireplace and turned. “The Stone brothers, they made like army men, and they said I was important.”

“That you were, cousin.” Micah kept his arm around her. “You saved our necks by firing at those outlaws.”

Hope relaxed against her husband. How wonderful to no longer have the terrible threat hanging over her. “I am proud of each of you. Without you, I would be dead. To help me, you put your lives at risk. Never can I thank you enough.”

Lizzie’s smile beamed at her nephews. “I never doubted you boys would succeed.”

“But that Ramona,” Maggie shook her head. “Who would have thought she was so evil?”

“Or so strong?” Lizzie’s mouth made an O and her curls bounced as she shook her head. “Like her grandmother, remember?”

Micah looked at her. “Say, I remember the promise of a fandango once I was on my feet. Now seems like a good time to celebrate.”

He had heard. She looked at the others. “Micah is correct. We must have a big fandango, a fiesta to celebrate. Perhaps John will announce it in his paper.”

Lizzie clapped her hands. “Wonderful. We love parties, don’t we, Sister?”

“Oh, yes. We’ll get started planning and, Hope, you just tell us if there’s anything special you want us to include.”

“Everything, and everyone.” She glanced at Micah and returned his grin. “This will be the grandest fandango in Texas. Let’s have it in a week, on Saturday so more people can attend.”

“Sounds good.” Micah looked at his brothers. “You can hang around that long, can’t you?”

Zach rubbed his hands together and winked. “Wouldn’t miss it.”

Frowning, Joel nodded and crossed his arms. He appeared annoyed at the delay. She knew he was eager to capture the men who had robbed his father.

Hope nodded back to him. “Your criminals will wait for six days, big brother.” What possessed her to call him that? Would he think she mocked him?

He laughed and relaxed his stance. “You’re right. Guess I can’t miss the big celebration.”

The aunts launched into plans. Each person in the room added suggestions. Hope recalled promising lanterns and mentioned where they were stored.

Eduardo stood. “I must go and tell my parents what has happened.” He convinced Micah, Joel, and Zach to ride home with him to relate the day’s events to his parents. “Never would they believe only me. Especially the part where Ramona planned to marry me, then kill all three of us.”

 Micah clapped Eduardo on the back. “We’ll back you up. Let your father know how important you were in capturing the murderers.”