Part 16

Today is the day I'm telling Trevor about my dad and I'm nervous as hell. I wake up early and take a quick shower changing into shorts and an oversized shirt that I stole from my Uncle. I hear my phone ding and walk to take it off the charger. I see a message from Trevor saying he'll be there in 5 minutes. I walk down the stairs and say bye to my Uncle as I rush out the door to see Trevor standing there by his vehicle. "Good morning." He smiles at me and opens the passenger door for me. "Thank you, good morning to you too." I smile back at him. "So what are you feeling for breakfast?" He asks me as we leave my driveway. "How about the diner?" "That sounds great." "I heard you guys won the game last night, congratulations." "Oh thank you." We make small talk for about 20 minutes as we drive to the diner.

When we step into the diner we find a booth next to the window and we seat across from each other. "What would you too like to drink?" The waiter asks as he smiles at me. "We'll have two waters please." Trevor says annoyed by the fact that the guy is still checking me out. "Ok." He walks off. "I cant believe some guys have no shame in checking you out with me right here." He says as he looks at the menu. "Guys don't usually do that." "Do What?" "Check me out." He places his menu down and looks at me intently. "You never noticed."

"Here are two waters and my number." The waiter places the waters down mine with a smile. "What can I get you to eat beautiful?" "You do realize I'm right here right." Trevor says as the waiter finally looks over at him. "Ok?" He turns his attention back to me. "I would appreciate if you didn't flirt with my date." He says angrily. "Trevor its ok just ignore him." I turn my attention to the waiter. "I'm on a date and even if I wasn't, I'm still not interested sorry." I add and he nods. "Prick" Trevor mumbles as the waiter walks away after taking our order. When we get our food we don't see the waiter anymore. "He finally got the hint." Trevor states as we dig into our food. "It's good to see a girl who likes her food." Trevor laughs as he looks at me with a piece of bacon sticking out of my mouth.

"Your fat, you need to stop eating all my food." He yelled at me. "I haven't eaten in two days I had to eat something I was about to pass out." I try to reason with him. "Next time Passout the food is for me and my friends." He says as he throws a broom at me. "Now clean up my friends are gonna be here soon. And take a shower. They'll want to see you." He says walking out the front door.

"Kelsey! Kelsey are you ok?" I snap out of the memory and see Trevor across from me looking concerned. "Sorry." "Are you okay?" "Yeah just got lost in my thoughts." " you do that a lot." He states looking me in the eyes. "Let's eat." I go back to eating my food as we make small talk while we eat. We finally finish and walk back to the car driving to the park. "Let's go over there it's quiet." He states grabbing my hand leading me to a bench behind a couple bushes under a tree. "It's hidden." I say as we sit down. "Yeah, it's my secret hiding place. I come here to be alone and to think." "Well it's not a secret anymore." I smile brightly at him  and he laughs. "I trust you to keep this secret." "I will." "Promise?" "Promise." It gets quiet.

     "What happened?" He breaks the silence. "With what?" "With us. After the party you just avoided me at all cost." "I was scared." I state honestly. "Scared of what? Me?" He looks over at me. "My dad used to abuse me." I say so quietly I thought he didn't hear.

     "What?" "When he lost his job years ago he started to drink and he wasn't the greatest guy around. He would hit my mother and me," "and she stayed?" "No. We tried to leave." I stop taking a deep breathe. "He would always stop us from leaving until one night he passed out early. She had our bags packed and ready to go. We left and our car got hit by a distracted driver who ran a red light and she died." "What happened with your dad?" "He told the police that my mom would abuse me and the police believed him. When we got back to the house I would get beaten everyday for any little thing." "That's why your so jumping around people?" I nod so he knows.

       "That's why I live with my Uncle now." "What happened to your dad?" He asks slowly, "One of his friends took me to the hospital after I tried to kill myself and the doctors saw the scars and arrested my dad. He's still in jail today." I take a deep breathe as he reaches his hand to my cheeks wiping the tears I didn't know I was shedding. "That's why I was scared. I was developing feelings for you and I didn't want to get attached when I told you this if you leave I don't want to get hurt." "You think I would leave you because of this?" Hurt was evident in his eyes.

"Most guys would." I state not being able to look into his eyes. "You don't have to be scared around me." I manage to look at him and I see honest in his eyes. I nod. "I'll try. I'm just scared to get hurt all over again." "I'm not your dad." I snap my head over to him. "I know your not,that's not what I'm saying." "I know I'm just telling you. You don't have to think I'm gonna end up like your dad."

"Thank you." I say hugging him. We pull away and I can't help but fall into his eyes. He leans in and places a gentle kiss on my lips. "Sorry I know your not ready." He looks away as I place my hands around his neck and pull his head down to my face. "Kiss me" I state and he doesn't even hesitate as he smashes his lips against mine.