Fourteen

"You live here?" Charlotte glances up at the man who fumbled for his key, a serene look upon his face as he heard the satisfying click of the lock.

"I do. Now dont get too excited." he chuckles and opens the door for her, it was pitch black when she stepped in until he left her side, shoes softly clicking on the tiles until the room was fully submerged in the warm glow of lights above, numerous masks lined the walls as well as a few paintings and mannequins stood on the sides with displays and unfinished works. Charlotte marveled at such artistry as she gingerly took a mask from the wall, examining it. The designs were elaborate and detailed that it seemed to really represent the person's individuality.

"Its beautiful." she sighed, placing the mask back in its place. The arts have always been her interest although never really pursuing everything there is in its field, she was good or sometimes the best at some but these exceed her and she was happy that someone such as him has such talent and skill.

" You did mention you love to paint. Come on." he beckons her towards a small flight of stairs in the corner of his shop, she assumed it was his bedroom as she followed him up the winding metal staircase. Only to be met by a rather quaint room and a large blank canvas with paint tubes and brushes strewn below it.

"Its all yours Stella."

"Is there something wrong Charles?" Ayame worriedly asked as they stood in front of the shop, hands wrapped tightly together.

"I just remembered the first time I came here." replied the brunette, a strained smile on her lips as she knocked but no answer came from within, Ayame groaned, muttering curse words under her breath as she stepped towards the lamp beside the door, opening it and pulling out a key, rust took most of its parts as it probably sat there neglected by the owner. She pushed the key in and twisted to hear a click. Glancing wearily at her companion who just gave a longing glance at the closed door. The shop was in total disarray as they entered, paper and cloth was strewn everywhere, mannequins have been knocked down on the floor and a few masks lay shattered.

" Holy shit. " Ayame gaped as she walked around the mess, nose wrinkling at the sight before her.

The other could only look upon the mess in sorrow, she knew he loved every bit and pieces of his works and it was so terrible beyond words could comprehend that he did this. He was hurting so much to the point nothing seemed to make sense anymore, it tugged at her heart all the more time she spent inside. Her hand met the cool railing of the stairs as she slowly made her way up.

"Wait." a steady grip on her wrist had her stopping from ascending "Whatever happens Charles, Ill be here. Whatever your choice is, Ill be here okay?"

Charlotte could cry this very moment as all the mental exhaustion caught up to her, she knew she had to do something, to make a choice. Ayame was like a beacon of light guiding her through the darkness and she was more than thankful to have her by her side.
"I know. Thank you Ayame."

"You got this." with a smile and a gentle squeeze Ayame walked towards the mess and began picking up the papers. Charlotte turned and ascended the stairs slowly, it was short lived until she came to the small familiar hallway that led to the door of his bedroom and entered.

Her painting was still there, perhaps the only one untouched by his misery. Fingers touched the painting, thumbing every raise and stroke of it all the more bringing back nostalgia.

"Charlotte? What are you doing here?" a hoarse voice came from behind her, almost unrecognizable. She turned to see him standing there, a mix of bewilderment and pain his face. The white tank top that didnt seem to cling to his frame as well as the grey jeans he wore. Had he not been eating at all?

" You havent been showing up lately." a taut smile crept up her face as she stood from where she was
"And your shop's a mess, why?"

"I havent been in good spirits lately. I apologize for what happened in the hospital." he replies, ignoring the second question, eyes looking everywhere but her, he was scared of actually telling her the truth when he didnt even know if she wanted to accept such hurtful memories. He just wanted the earth to swallow him up at that moment as his hands shook.

"I know." he heard it 

"Know what?" he whispers back, voice almost on the verge of cracking and tears clouded his vision of the woman in front of him, oh how much would he give up just to hold her again

"My memories, Ive started to remember a day after you suddenly left and this two weeks, I remembered almost everything from the day I was here, my friends, CCG, you and the war."
Everything coming back to her and he somewhat felt subtle relief until his mistakes overtook his senses.
Her heart ached from both love and pain of knowing what transpired between them.

It took only 4 large steps to reach her until he felt the familiar feeling of her body against his, fitting like a puzzle piece.

"Im so sorry, Uta." she mumbled against his neck, he clung to her so tight as if she'd drift away like she did before. Yet she was warm, solid and alive in his arms, only then he was assured this was certainly not a dream. It was her in the flesh.
She let slip a few tears, eyes closing, savouring the moment of being there.

" I love you. "