14: A Father's Love

-October 1 1991-
Albus had always loved Stonehenge. The place was full of so much magical energy, even the muggles flocked to it with their cameras and tourism. He remembered back when he was much younger, back before his family was shattered by his mistakes and politics, he and his family would visit Stonehenge every summer. Seeing the towering rocks always brought forth a rush of nostalgia and joy.

But not this time.

As Albus apparated to the center of Stonehenge, he felt nothing but weariness. The rocks were in the same place as they'd been for hundreds of years, the erosion and plant life still fighting the age-old struggle to bring the giants down. It was quiet there, the stars twinkling overhead in the coming dusk. The peaceful atmosphere wouldn't last, though.

His presence was announced by the loud pop of apparition. Albus didn't turn around to greet his former student, and chose instead to look up at the sky. The husky blues, purples and pinks cast a warm glow on the ground.

In his arms, however, the child squirmed. It was clear that Harry had seen Tom and was now reaching towards him, his eyes wide with impatient glee. Albus tightened his grip on the toddler to keep him from falling. Tom hissed behind him.

"Dumbledore." he said, his voice tight with rage. Albus turned around then, a polite smile resting on his face.

"Hello Tom," he said with a nod. Tom's crimson eyes narrowed. "A fine spot."

"Give. Him. Back."

"Manners, Tom," Albus tutted. "I know you know them."

Tom hissed nonverbally. In his arms, Harry responded with a hiss. Albus felt his insides freeze at the noise. He looked down at the Inferius with surprise. The child spoke parseltongue? That should be impossible! Lily and James did not have such a trait...

"Where were your manners when you kidnapped him?" Tom asked sharply, his hands tightening into fists at his side.

"A simple misunderstanding, I assure you." Albus said with a tight smile.

Tom's eyebrow raised delicately. "A misunderstanding?" he asked through grit teeth.

"I was under the assumption that the child was in need of rescuing." Albus answered semi-honestly. In truth, he did think the child needed to be rescued. It was just an added bonus that the Inferius would weaken Tom.

Tom scoffed. "Of course," he said, shaking his head with an angry mirth. "Your close mindedness will be your downfall old man."

"It was a fair assumption, Tom." Dumbledore said. "I wouldn't put such a feat above you."

"That is not my name." Tom hissed, anger replacing whatever amusement that was left. "Give me my child back. Now."

"How did you meet Harry?" Albus asked. Tom twitched at the name, a sneer pulling his features.

"That's not his name." Tom replied. "Seems you're forgetting much in your old age. Don't worry, I hear going senile isn't as bad as it sounds."

"That is the name his parents gave him," Albus said firmly. "Thus, his name is Harry."

Albus tensed when Tom's magic flared with rage. His red eyes were practically glowing with rage as he snarled. "I am his parent. I am. Not them."

"You've taken this too far, Tom." Albus said, his grip on Harry tightening even further. "You took Harry from a happy home---"

Tom let out a humorless cackle. "Happy? Happy home, you say?" he snarls. "Those muggles murdered my son! How dare you!"