8

It's sad but life is full of sudden goodbyes

"Uncle but I just saw him this morning and..."

She became speechless and a tear slipped from her eye. She found it unbelievable that the man that she had seen hours ago was already in the after life. She blinked her eyes and more tears streamed down her cheeks.

Antonio engulfed her in a warm embrace and she whimpered on his shoulder

"Tell me it isn't true Uncle"

He patted her back, "I'm sorry Cyane, we all are mourning"

Her whimpers broke into full cries accompanied with the shaking of her shoulders.

A bell was rung as a queue of monks beelined in a slow manner towards the prayer house.
They were all dressed in white which was the attire for a send off.
Cyane was the last person on the line and she walked at the back of her Uncle with her head bent.

It was customary for deceased monks to be buried within two days after their deaths. She joined the monks as they all knelt down and then rested on their legs, their butts touching the sole of their feet as the prayers began.

The precentor held the prayers and the rest of them recited in unison when necessary. Cyane's gaze was casted on the floor all through out the prayer session.

She had cried till she got tired and her vocal chords could no longer produce sounds. She was certain that her voice would be lost by dawn.

Seden was by her side and he casted her a glance which she didn't return but she felt that his eyes were burning holes in her head.
She had prayed for the Abbot's death to be a lie, she wanted him back to life.

It was his time

A little voice kept telling her and she wished that she wouldn't come to terms with those words. But like leech on one's skin so were the words latched in her mind. Everything seemed to dull in that moment, her senses had gone numb and her clenched fists released itself.

Cyane was no longer with them, her mind had traveled far and fallen down a rabbit hole. She was oblivious to everything that was happening. When the last walk was made round the coffin, she had remained in her position not moving a muscle.

"Cyane" Seden called out for her, her mind snapped out of its daze and her eyes rose and locked in a circuit with his, "We have to go, the wake would happen outside"

Her eyes darted round the place, they were the only ones left in the room besides Luc who was finishing up.

The hosteller walked up to where they were and held out his hand for her to take which she tardily did, she had to steady herself on her feet or she would have fallen on her face.

"You know, it was his time" Luc regarded her as they walked slowly behind Seden

She nodded

He smiled which she returned with a small tilt of her lips that was hardly noticeable.

They walked outside together, her hands still in his before he let go, he opened his mouth to say something but held himself back.

She began walking with Seden before Luc's voice halted her steps

"Cyane"

She slowly turned to face him and then back to Seden but Seden signaled to her that he would be at the place where the wake was being held and with that he left.

She was now alone with the hosteller

"He was proud of you"

Her brows creased which the hosteller noticed thus causing him to explain further, "The Abbot, he was proud of you"