17

Such pride, it would destroy you, child

Cyane sat with her arms folded and her face pressed, her behind was hurting from the prolonged sitting that she had been doing for a while. Beside her was Leondre with a stoic expression mostly from the fact that he didn't like the tournament. Truthfully, it was going well but he just didn't want to reveal any emotion that would show that he was enjoying it.

Cyane joined the crowd in their cheers when the person that she had been rooting for had hit his opponent with his lance and the man fell with his face to the ground. The loser had ended up sustaining an injury which would later be treated by the physicians assigned to the middle and lower classes.

The man in the ring had raised his lance in the air acknowledging the cheers that he had gotten and that gesture only got him more in return.
He stilled at the sight of another opponent entering the ring and so did the people's cheers. Their lighthearted laughters had suddenly gone mute at the presence of another fighter who was going to face their favorite.

Cyane couldn't handle the tension that had suddenly made its presence amongst the people. To distract her mind, She slowly craned her neck upwards to where the king and the nobles sat. The platform on which they were was finely decorated and the chairs had fine decorations on it too. There were wine goblets present in front of them and a bottle which was round at the bottom was also kept beside them. There were guards stationed at the sides of the platform, they had their swords hung around their waists while they glanced to and fro. Their stoic demeanor would only make one think that they were expecting an attack but one could never tell what would befall them in the next second.

She searched for the girl that she had seen earlier amongst the unclear faces that she was staring at on the balcony. The girl was a noble so she was expected to be seated among her kind, sipping from her goblet while watching the contest unfold right in front of her.

Leondre noticed Cyane's movement and he followed her eyes to see that she was staring at the platform where his Father was, where he should be seated, "What are you looking at?"

"No one" Cyane replied sharply without thinking the question through.

"I didn't ask if it was someone"

Cyane met his gaze to see that he had a smirk on his face, one filled with amusement at the fact that she had given herself away while trying to act coy

"It's nothing"

"Ok" he knew that she was lying but opted not to call her out on it, letting it go this time wouldn't hurt anyone.

She on the other hand wasn't satisfied with the reply he had given, there was more surrounding it or so she felt, "It's really nothing"

"I'm not arguing with you, am I?"

She shook her head and brought her gaze back to the contest. At that moment the crowd suddenly went into an uproar of cheers because their favorite had won the supposed match again. Cyane brought her hands together creating friction between them as she clapped.

Leondre just smirked and bent his face. He was waiting for the moment that Reuel would come up on stage to be challenged by another fighter. He desperately wanted to see his brother in action.

They watched for a long time, the contest had gone from jousting to now sword fighting. He narrowed his eyes at the swords that the men wielded to see if it was thesame kind that he had used the day he fought Reuel. He couldn't make out the designs but he inwardly trusted that Reuel wouldn't issue a broken sword out to the fighters.