3

We are all a little lonely
these days aren't we?

Atticus

The morning sun broke through as light gusts of wind brushed through the grasses and swayed the leaves.

The little girl stood with her hands stretched out in opposite directions, the wind ruffled her hair smattering it on her face as her eyes closed to relish in the peace that she had found at the moment.

The light tunes of the wind were like melody in her ears as her lips tilted upwards, she was oblivious to every other thing around her. She couldn't hear even the humming of the birds nor her name being screamed from twenty meters away

"Cyane!" She snapped out of her reverie, as her gaze fixed on the person who stood in front of her with her arms folded and a stern face. Her eyes widened as realization dawned on her and she knew she was in big trouble.

"What did I tell you about leaving the monastery?"

"I didn't leave, I wanted to catch a squirrel" Her lies weren't good at least not enough to fool the lady who stood in her front blocking the sunlight which resulted in shadows being casted on her face

"But you still left, even after I had told you not to"

"I'm sorry" she bent her face and her shoulders slouched as she accepted the fact that she had lied to her aunt.

"Let's go"

Cyane began making her way back to the monastery, her shoulders were still slouched and her lips were pouted, she was unhappy with her aunt.

For a seven year old she was stubborn.

They got to the monastery and diverted their steps towards the east house. At the front steps, Rane instructed her to stay out as she went in and got a cloth and a bowl of water. She dipped the cloth in, bent down and began wiping the girl's fingers which had dirt on them.

"You never listen, you don't" her gaze met Cyane's who was feeling very sorry, sorry that she was caught, "When will you do as you are told?"

"It won't happen again, I promise" the corner of her lips tilted upwards

"That's what you said last time" Rane's reply was curt, "And the other time too when you snuck out of the prayer house. Should I keep listing all of them because it is way too long"

"You don't have to be so strict with her, she's but a child" a male voice spoke few meters away from her.

"Uncle Seden" Cyane loosened herself from Rane's grip and ran towards Seden who had apples in both arms. She wrapped her arms around him as she encased him in a hug which he returned.

"Cyane" she loosened her hold on him a and they stared at each other for a while, "I'm glad to see you"

"Me too" she looked at the apples in the little basket on his hands,"Are those for us?"
"Yes they are, he climbed up the steps with her in his hold; her hand enclosed in his.

"She's not eating any of those" Rane interrupted their exchange

"Why not?"

"Ask her yourself"

Seden turned and faced Cyane, her head which was at his stomach level had him staring down at her.

"I may or may not have left the monastery" she bit her inner lip

"Say it better"

"I left the monastery"

Seden shared a glance with Rane and she gave him a look which he understood, he wasn't to take it easy on her, "Don't leave again, you are going and you don't know what dangers are out there"