2.8: The Mind Flayer

Steve, Dustin, Lucas, Max, and I were following the trail of Dart and the other Demogorgons to see where they went. I was walking in front of the kids with Steve listening to their conversation.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked trying to wrap his head around the situation.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." Dustin confirmed.

"He was tiny two days ago." Max said confused.

"Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin shrugged.

"Malted?" Steve asked.

"Molted." Dustin corrected.

"He shed his skin to make more room to grow. Like hornworms." I added and Dustin looked at me impressed while Steve looked confused. "What? I am smart, you know." I shrugged.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked fearing the answer.

"It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends." Dustin said anxiously.

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve said and everyone stopped.

"Wait, a cat? Dart ate a cat?" Lucas asked Dustin.

"No, what? No." Dustin tried to lie.

"What are you talking about?" Steve said unaware that Dustin was trying to cover his own ass.

"He ate Mews." I added.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked trying to keep up.

"It's Dustin's cat." Steve answered.

"Steve!" Dustin yelled trying to control the situation.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas spat angrily.

"No! No. No, I... No, I... He missed me. He wanted to come home." Dustin said trying to defend his actions.

"Bullshit!" Lucas yelled.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, Okay?" Dustin defended.

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas said continuing to argue.

"Guys, who cares? We have to go." Max said anxiously.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas screamed.

"So did you!" Dustin spat back.

"What?" Lucas asked confused.

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin argued pointing his flashlight at Max.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed.

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas defended.

"But I didn't, Lucas, okay?" Dustin continued. Then there was a screech in the distance and Steve and I walked away trying to hear where it was coming from. "I didn't tell her! We both broke the rule of law, okay? So we're even. We're even." 

"No, no! We're not even! Don't even try that. Your stupid pet could have ate us for dinner!" Lucas argued.

"That was not my fault!" Dustin screamed.

"Guys?" Steve said trying to get everyone's attention.

"He wasn't gonna eat us." Dustin defended.

"He was crawling to come say hello?" Lucas scoffed.

"Guys!" Steve and I both yelled and they were finally listening when the screeching continued and we all immediately ran to follow the noise.

"No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you headed towards the sound? Hello? Hello?" Max said trying to convince us to leave it alone, but eventually gave in and followed us. We all came up on top of a hill trying to listen for the screeching.