1.2: The Weirdo on Maple Street

I left the Byers house very late. When I opened the front door my dad was sitting in the living room waiting for me to get home.

"Where have you been?" He asked with a worried look on his face.

"I was at Jonathan's. Will is missing and I was helping them look for him." I said.

"You couldn't call? You couldn't take one second to walk over here and give your dad some peace of mind?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, I thought you would be at work all day. I didn't think about it. So much was going on." I said still in shock of all that has happened.

"Do you know how worried I've been?" He asked.

"I know..." I said, but he cut me off.

"No, you don't know. You could've been in a ditch somewhere, you could've been kidnapped. You could've been hit by a car." He said with tears in his eyes.

"Dad, I'm sorry." I said hugging him.

"What is this about Will Byers missing?" He asked now digesting the words I said.

"Nobody knows where he is." I said my voice breaking.

"Oh, honey." He said sympathetically.

"I'm gonna head upstairs, go to bed. It's late." I said not wanting to cry in front of him. Before he could answer I rushed up the stairs and into my bedroom. As soon as I closed the door, I began sobbing letting all my emotions come out. I knew that I couldn't do this in front of Jonathan. I had to be strong for him, but I couldn't keep it up by myself.

I heard a knock at the door followed by my father's voice saying, "Frankie, let me in please. I can help you."

I reluctantly opened the door and let him in. I returned to my bed and continued to cry. My dad came over to my bed and held me in is arms until I fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My father let me sleep in the next day. He told me that I could stay home from school today. It fit in perfectly with my plan to go to Indianapolis with Jonathan to see Lonnie. I got out of bed and was looking out my window to see if I could see Jonathan. His car wasn't home and then I realized that I promised him that I would help him put posters of Will up. Shit I was late. I got into my car and sped off towards the school. I pulled into the parking lot just as Jonathan was heading into the school.

I got out of my car quickly and ran to catch up with Jonathan. "Hey, sorry I'm late, but I'm here now." I said a little out of breath.

"Jesus, you scared me." He said as he opened the door.

"Sorry." I said. We were heading to the bulletin board to pin Will's missing poster to it. I could see Steve, Tommy H., Carol, Barb, and Nancy Wheeler staring at us. I saw Jonathan look at them too.