Prologue: The Calm Before the Storm

It was a quiet night in Hawkins, Indiana. People were all cozy in their suburban homes. Children were riding their bikes home from their long days of adventuring. Teenagers were preparing to sneak out their bedroom windows to see their significant others. At least most teenagers were.

Frankie Edwards was in her usual place, in Jonathan Byers's bedroom studying for their impossible calculus test scheduled for the following day.

"So what did you get for number twelve?" Jonathan asked as he glanced up from his textbook.

"I got negative x to the two thirds power." I said confidently.

"How the hell did you get that?" He asked dumbfounded.

"I did what any smart person would do, I checked the back of the book for the answer." I said jokingly.

"The answers are in the back?" He asked flipping to the back of the book to check to see if I was lying.

"Yeah, they always have been." I said matter of factly.

"You're not going to learn anything by cheating." Jonathan said scribbling down his answer to the next equation.

"I like to think of it as using my resources. Plus, I'm really good at math, so I should at least pass Mr. Wolfe's test. I'm not worried about it." I shrugged.

"Yeah, you should pass. You'll probably end up getting a hundred and I'll end up failing like the last test." Jonathan said bitterly.

"Yeah, you're probably right." I joked and Jonathan laughed. "Alright, I think we did enough studying, can we do something a little more exciting?" I asked taking the text book from his lap and closing it.

"Something like what?" He asked annoyed.

"I don't know, how about you show me some pictures you took?" I suggested.

"No." Jonathan said sternly.

"Why won't you ever show me your work? I'm your best friend!" I pointed out.

"You're my only friend." He replied.

"True." I said, "But you're avoiding the subject." I pointed out.

"It's not going to happen." He said stubbornly.

"Fine, then let's talk about how we're going to get out of this town one day." I said with hope in my eyes, "What college are we going to?" I asked.

"I can't even think about college if I can't afford it." He said.

"I keep on telling you the same thing, you're going to get a scholarship and we're going to kick ass and get amazing jobs somewhere far away from this hell hole. NYU has an amazing photography journalism program and they happen to also have a great science program." I said day dreaming about the possibilities.

"Frankie, why can't we talk about something else like what we're gonna do this weekend." Jonathan suggested.

"Fine, but this conversation isn't over." I said.

"Thank god." Jonathan said relieved that we were moving on from the subject because it was stressing him out.

"So I was thinking we could see Poltergeist." I said.

"I don't know, scary movies aren't my thing." Jonathan replied nervously.

"Come on! I can stay over afterwards so that we can watch a funny movie to get your mind off of the horror." I said trying to convince him.

"I don't think it's a good idea." He said.

"Come on, please... Pretty please with a big juicy cherry on top?" I asked with my best puppy dog eyes.

"Fine, but you're buying the popcorn and twizzlers." He said finally agreeing to go.

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." I said hugging him and planting a kiss on his cheek. Just then the phone rang and Joyce answered it.

"That's probably your dad telling you to come home." Jonathan said.

"I don't understand why he has to call it's a five second walk." I said knowing that my dad probably did call.

"Well, do you want me to walk you home?" Jonathan asked as I got off his bed to pack my textbooks and notes.

"I think I can manage getting next door without getting murdered." I said jokingly.

"Are you sure? Mike Myers could be waiting for you." He joked back.

"Ha ha." I said as I opened the door to his room to head home, but Joyce was right outside the door.

"Oh, hi Ms. Byers." I said surprised that she was there.

"Hi, honey. Your dad just called and asked for you to head home." She said sweetly.

"Yeah, I'm heading home now. Thanks." I said moving past her.

"Good luck on your calculus test tomorrow." Joyce said as I opened the front door.

"Thanks, Ms. Byers!" I said as I walked out and closed the door behind me to go home. Little did I know that tonight would be the last good night that I would have at the Byers residence in a long time.