Ch. 17: "The Handmaiden and The Monster" (pt. 1)

(A/N) Just wanted to quickly make something clear. As it stands, there is no specific calendar system in RWBY. This put me in quite a pickle. So, after much deliberation, I have decide to say that RWBY takes place in time parallel to our world. This is the easiest method for me to determine dates without sounding like a complete idiot. Because this chapter is a completely original side story, I'd like to ask that all of you give me your honest opinions about it. If you see anything that you think could be changed, that doesn't make sense, or that I can do better next time, let me know in the comments. Now, on with the story!

————————————————————————

In Remnant, the first recorded stories of a being called "Dracula" date back almost three hundred years before the Fall of Beacon. But, this is not a story of Dracula. No, this is a story of a young man and young woman who sought to break free from the chains of fate in search of a better life.

————————————————————————

Three centuries ago, the world of Remnant was a very different place. It was a time shortly before the kingdoms of Vale, Vacuo, Mistral, and Atlas were the centers of human society. A time before the Great War. It was a darker place. This was especially true in regards to Faunus civil rights—or lack thereof. While a small number of Faunus had escaped and started their own villages, the vast majority were enslaved. They were deemed a lesser race than humans and were treated like animals.

There was once a wealthy and powerful human household located on the continent of Anima. This particular family lived in what was essentially a medieval castle with a large tract of farmland surrounding it. The family had a large number of Faunus slaves which they used to maintain the large farmland and as basic guards around the castle perimeter. The jobs of maids and butlers, however, were reserved for human commoners employed by the family. One of the family's many Faunus slaves was a young Bat Faunus by the name of Dreyfus Ulrich.

Dreyfus was the only son of Vincent and Marideth Ulrich—both of whom were Faunus slaves that worked on the vast tract of farmland. For the first fifteen years of his life, Dreyfus worked in the farmland with his parents. The masters of the castle took notice of how physically capable Dreyfus was, so they forcibly removed him from his family and trained him as a soldier.

Master: You worthless scum! (whipping young Dreyfus) Get up and do it right!

Dreyfus: (screaming in pain) GAH!! (forcing himself to keep going) Y-yes, m-master.

Unfortunately, the boy failed again and again...

Master: (whipping Dreyfus again) I said... Do. It. Right!

Dreyfus: GAaaaaah!!!

It was a terrible life that the young Faunus boy was forced to live. If he failed his training, he was beaten. If he disobeyed his masters, they beat him. If he did even the smallest thing that his masters didn't like, he was beaten. This life of cruelty was all that Dreyfus had known. Yet, he carried on with his head held high—all for the sake of his family.

But, every man has their breaking point, and Dreyfus was no exception...

(Timeskip: 5 years later)

One day, a Faunus guard who knew Dreyfus came running up to him.

Guard: (out of breath) Dreyfus! (gasping for air) I have terrible news!

Dreyfus: Come now. What could be so terrible about it. Just tell me.

Guard: (his voice quivering with sadness) I'm... I'm so sorry, Dreyfus. But, your parents, they- they're- I'm so sorry!