Ch. 16: Revelations and Reunions

Hey everybody! Did you miss me? Well I missed all of you! Okay, time to be real. I don't have a good excuse for not updating this, or any other, story for so long. So, I won't make any excuses. Instead, I hope you will except this rather lengthy chapter as compensation for now. Hopefully, this chapter serves to answer a few questions that you guys had last chapter. So, without further ado, enjoy!

————————————————————————————————————————————

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ruby: (choking back tears for the moment) Professor... wh-what happened t-to them?

Ozpin: I don't know.

At that moment, Yang's anger snapped her back to reality.

Yang: "I don't know?" What type of half-assed response is that!?

Qrow stepped in and tried to calm Yang down.

Qrow: Easy there, Firecracker. I've known Oz for a long time now, so I know he's got at least some kind of guess about what happened.

Yang: (crossing her arms, still fuming) Fine! Let's hear it then.

Qrow: You heard her, Oz. So tell us, what's going on here?

Ozpin: Thank you, Qrow. As I said before, I do not know the details of the events which led to team HAVC's current state. However, I will gladly share with you what I DO know... (turning to Ruby) Ms. Rose, do you recall the day that all first-year students went on their first missions?

Ruby: Yeah. I remember that you called me and Heath to your office to discuss the break-in from the night before. And then you asked Heath to stay behind, so you could discuss something in private with him.

Ozpin: That is correct. Now let me ask you another question. Are you aware of team HAVC's "extracurricular" activities over the last two semesters?

Ruby: (nervously twiddling her thumbs) Um... well... (sighing in defeat) Yes, sir...

Ozpin: I suspected as much. You are not in any trouble. However, the fact remains that only a select few know the true nature of what those boys found. That group consists of myself, Ms. Glynda, James, and team HAVC themselves. It is true that they aided your team in the investigation of White Fang activity linked to Roman Torchwick. But, they had another objective which they kept secret from you. That objective involved the investigation of Pseudo-Vampires.

Blake: (having composed herself) But sir, vampires of any kind are just a myth. The closest beings to them would be Bat Faunus, but the only relation is the bat-like appearance. Why would they be investigating something that doesn't exist?

Ozpin: Because, Ms. Belladonna, vampires ARE real. And it was due to their unique skills and their desire to investigate that I sent team HAVC on a secret mission.

Weiss: Wait, what does that have to do with vampires?

Ozpin: It has everything to do with vampires, Ms. Schnee. For, you see, I sent team HAVC on a reconnaissance mission to the mountains of the Orias continent in the northwest.

Ruby: I don't understand. What's in that region that's so important?

Ozpin: It is where Dracula, the Vampire Lord, has his stronghold. The objective of their mission was to gather intel on Dracula and the movement of his forces. They were also tasked with finding a missing field operative that disappeared two weeks prior. They were to finish as quickly and covertly as possible before returning to Beacon to give a full report.