Prologue pt. 3: The Phantom Predator

No matter who you are or where you go, there is one thing that all people of all races agree on.

Where there is light, there is also darkness.

However, not all manner of darkness is bad. There are some things that work within the shadows, in order to protect the light.

It is late afternoon, and the sun is beginning to drift lower in the sky above a small town located midway between the kingdom of Vacuo and the kingdom of Vale. This town is somewhat rundown and has very few permanent residents. The reason is because this particular town is primarily used as a place for huntsmen and huntresses to rest when traveling between Vale and Vacuo.

At one end of the town, a lone figure can be seen walking slowly down the dusty road. His destination is the local tavern and inn.

The as the figure walks closer, it becomes clear the figure is a young man, likely a teenager. On his back, the young man had jet black hair and grey-blue eyes. He was dressed almost solely in black clothing—the only exception being his collared, white button-up long-sleeve shirt. The young man wore black leather cowboy boots with spurs on the heels; a pair of black, slim-fit slacks; along with a black belt. On either side of the belt, there hung two holsters. Each one holding a large silver revolver with a wooden grip. He also wore a black suit-vest and tie over top of his white collared shirt. The young man also wore a black fedora and a trench coat that reached to halfway up his shins. In addition to his outfit and weapons, the young man carried a rucksack over his right shoulder.

The young man walked in complete and utter silence. In fact, the only sound along the entire street came from the whistling wind and the clanging sound his boot spurs made with every step.

Continuing his methodical pace, the young man finally arrived at the tavern. Stopping for a moment at the front door, the teen could hear the raucous of drunken laughter and the smell of alcohol coming from within the establishment. Reluctantly, the young man entered the building. As he stepped inside, all eyes immediately turned towards him and all manner of noise ceased.

With slow yet confident steps, the young man made his way to the bar and took one of the available seats. Then he spoke in a low dry tone.

Boy in black: Hey Bartender, get me a bourbon on the rocks.

Bartender: Uhh...sure, kid. Coming right up.

Deciding not to question the reason someone The boy's age was ordering something like that, the Bartender got right to work on the young man's order.

Within a few minutes, the bartender returned with the young man's drink.

Bartender: So kid...I gotta ask, what's someone your age doing all by himself in a place like this? I mean no disrespect or anything. I'm just a little curious is all.

The boy in black took a sip of his drink before he responding in a rather irritated tone.

Boy in black: Okay, first of all, my name isn't "kid," It's Victor. Second, why I'm here is none of your damn business.

Bartender: Hey, hey, take it easy kid. It was just a question. There's no need to get so defensive.

Victor: I suppose you're right. Guess I'm just a little on edge from the rest of my journey. Thanks for the drink, by the way. Hopefully it can help me unwind a bit.

Bartender: Don't worry about it, kid.

With that, the bartender proceeded to go back to work cleaning the bar and serving drinks to some of the other people in the tavern.

(A/N) Play the song now.

Victor continued to sit at the bar for some time afterwards, taking sips from his drink as time passed. After about thirty minutes, the peace and quiet that Victor had been enjoying was finally shattered as three men came up to him.