Ch. 18: The Fall

"Fight on and fly on from the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart." - Manfred von Richthofen (The Red Baron)

—————————————————————————————————————

It was the final day of the Vytal Tournament, and the members of teams RWBY and HAVC awoke early in the morning, each of them bursting with excitement. After a quick breakfast, team RWBY started debating who among them should fight in the one-on-one combat matches. After a while, team HAVC joined in the discussion as well. The group of teens eventually decided that Yang would be representing her team, but they decided she would also be representing team HAVC.

Soon after, Ozpin arrived at the infirmary room accompanied by General Ironwood.

Ozpin: Good morning, students. Judging by the excited chatter I heard, I take it that you all are in good spirits today?

Heath: Sure are, Professor! We were just helping the girls decide who they'll send to the final round today.

Ozpin: Is that so? Then may I ask which of you young ladies will be representing your team?

Yang: (excitedly points to herself) That'd be me!

Chris: (pointing his thumb at Yang) Yeah, I told 'em this feisty firecracker is probably the best chance they have in a one-on-one fight. Close quarters brawling is kinda her specialty, after all.

Ruby: But we also decided that Yang will represent team HAVC too—since they didn't get to compete.

Ozpin: I see. That's very admirable. Now, onto the reason for our sudden visit. The General and I have a few matters to discuss with team HAVC. James, if you would be so kind?

Ironwood: Right. Ozpin and I are aware that much of your team's equipment and weapons were damaged or lost during the course of your mission. Heath and Victor, your weapons were only damaged, so I had some of my best engineers repair them for you. Anthony, I am sorry to inform you that your weapon was nowhere to be found at the crash site. So, I have an offer for you. If you can give me a description of the weapon you want, I'll have my top scientists and engineers make it for you.

Anthony was speechless for a second before he recovered.

Anthony: I'm honored, sir. It honestly feels like a bit more than I deserve, though.

Ironwood: Nonsense! After everything that you and your teammates experienced on that mission, it is the least I can do, young man.

Heath: But What about Chris' weapon?

Ironwood: Your brother's gear seems to be a bit more complicated. Christopher, is it possible for you to stand up?

Chris: (visibly confused) Uuuuuuhh, sure...? Yang, mind helping me get to my feet?

Yang nodded before walking around to the opposite side of Christopher's medical bed and helping him stand up. He was a bit wobbly at first, so he grabbed onto Yang's shoulder for support. After a few moments, the young tactician regained his balance and was able to stand on his own. Yang stayed close by, just in case she needed to help.

Chris: (smiling at Yang) Thanks, Firefly.

Yang: (returning the smile) Anytime, Fly-guy.

Ironwood: Good. I'm sure that you've noticed a strange feeling on your back since you awoke, Christopher.

Chris: Now that you mention it, my back has been feeling a bit stiff since I woke up.

Ironwood: Well, your weapons and gear were a unique case. Your pistols were easy enough to repair; it was your cyber wings that proved problematic. Now I want you to focus for me, Christopher; picture wings spreading out from your shoulder blades. Imagine that the wings are a part of you.