Chapter 14: Wounded

Chapter 14: Wounded

Amber Blackburne's POV District 6 Female

Run. 

That's the only word that comes to mind. I can't sit down and rest as I don't know who could be behind me. My fingers are already numb from the exposure, and I need to make sure that I warm them up before I get into combat. Once it's safe to do so, starting a fire must be my number one priority. I need to get warm, or I could die out here very quickly. Not wanting to risk too much I only grabbed a small tin very far from center.  Before I can start the fire I need to find some shelter. That way I'll be able to hide from the elements....and the careers. I know I've only been running for a few minutes, I need to continue on. I jog about another hundred and fifty yards before I have to stop. I'll keep moving in the morning, but I think this will be a good place to spend the night. After a moment I stand back up and dust myself off. When I do so, I note that the snow is still powdery. No chance of it melting anytime soon.

I look around for a couple of minutes hoping to find a cave, a crevice.... something  for shelter. After ten minutes of searching I settled on the cover of a fallen tree. I dust away the snow and snuggle up to the back of the log, trying to make myself invisible. Then the cannons start to fire. I hope one of them doesn't belong to Willow. One for the District Three girl that stepped off her plate, and the rest I'm completely oblivious to. I close my eyes and count each cannon. Nine in all. Nine died in the bloodbath. I'm guessing that the careers are still alive, unless they have turned on each other already. Maybe one of them belongs to my district partner Krane, but then again, I have no idea. 

I know that now would be a safe time to open the box I got from the Cornucopia. My frozen fingers do their best to unlatch the hinges hold the box closed. The first thing I see is a pair of thick woolen gloves. I slip them on quickly then continue to sift through the container. Next I find a small bag of puffy balls of cotton. Under that is a large square of thin fabric, which I wrap around my head for warmth. Next is a small pie tin and a box of at least ten matches labeled "No Smoke". Finally, tucked into the corner is a small tub of what looks like a thick, clear, and glossy chapstick. 

How sensitive Capitol! I was so worried about my lips getting chapped.

Now it's time to get to work on my career traps. After a quick search I find some plants hidden under the snow. I fumble with some thick stalks, knowing that they would make a good noose or foothold. As I work I whisper my mother's poem to myself. 

"For I'm not afraid of death so it's afraid of me...."

Ford Gilligan's POV District 4 Male

The girl from three was strong. She seemed to know what she was doing in training, so why would she step off the plate? I was on the opposite side of the arena, and my view was blocked by the Cornucopia. I can imagine that only those closest to her really saw what happened, and that three-quarters of us will just have to remain ignorant. Still, it's surprising. 

Tensions among the Careers have begun to dissipate. I can tell that they are upset about losing Willow, but I'm glad she made it out of there. I'm angry with myself for letting Giselle take the bow back from me, but she caught me by surprise. I'm sure Willow is ok, if we didn't get her I'm confident that no one else will. They promised me. I can't break up with the careers even though I want to, that would put us both in danger. I may not be able to break off from them, but I can tick them off. One by one. 

We set up camp at center, and It's Opal's turn to cook for lunch. I'm growing hungrier by the minute. Time passes so fast in here, how is it already midday? I offer to help her hunt down some animals and she graciously accepts, but Tyran keeps a close eye on us as we hunt around the edge of the woods. Suddenly a bush rustles and Opal pushes past me to stab into the brush. I hear a small squeak and she reaches into the bush to pull out a small bird. It's not enough to feed everyone so we keep searching. As soon as we are done eating I know that we are going to start hunting for other tributes, and I know that hunting Willow will be first on the agenda. As we finish up hunting and head back to cook, I hope to myself that she is far away and well hidden.

Willow Spire's POV District 4 Female

As the sun moves sinks down into the sky the temperature drops lower and lower, and I fear I will die from hypothermia if I don't find a place to sleep for the night. Even before I find that though, I need to get my wounds sorted. The first order of business is my shoulder. I open up the first aid kit and peer inside. The first thing I need to do is ensure that the bleeding is stopped and clean the wound. I grab a wipe and start dabbing gingerly at my wound before pressing down hard. I take out the small bottle of rubbing alcohol and a corresponding amount of gauze. Pouring the alcohol onto the gauze I remember how much this will sting. I press it against my shoulder and close my eyes. I clenched my teeth in pain, wondering how long I can take it. I keep it on for about thirty seconds before I reapply it. I continue this process until it no longer stings. After that I apply gauze and some medical tape to keep the wound as clean as I can and settle back down for a moment. I take a deep breath and begin to stand, avoiding my ankle, and-

"DEAD! That girl is so dead,"

Recognizing Giselle's voice, I freeze on instinct.