Chapter 19: Dazzling Blue

Willow Spire District 4 Female

Amber jumps. She stares at the brush behind us and narrows her eyes intently.

"Did you see that?" She gets to her feet.

"It looked like an animal,"

I stare into the brush, and then back at her.

"Amber, there's nothing there," I say to her. "Are you feeling alright? You've been on edge since the run-in with the careers,"

She smiles up at me, "I'm fine, it was just jarring. I didn't think we would make it out of there," she pauses, "But we did!" she adds.

I smile at her. "Just go lay down for me, ok?" She doesn't protest.

She quickly falls asleep, and after a while I go to check on her. I feel forehead to check if she could possibly be getting sick. She's burning up.

She just needs some time to rest, I tell myself. All she needs is a night by the fire and some soup. Yes, that's it. Some soup, some warmth.

I find an empty tree and gather some game for dinner. I boil some snow in Amber's tin box.

A cannon fire startles me, but Amber doesn't stir. Another fires as I stir the mixture I've made inside the small tin. I've never made soup from scratch before so I don't know how good it will taste, but I think the warmth is what Amber needs right now.

After I'm confident that I have cooked the food enough, I scoop some soup out of the tin with a water bottle from my backpack and head towards Amber to hand her our meal. I expected her to be fast asleep, but she is awake, fumbling with a rock.

"Hey," She says as she sees me approaching.

"Whatcha got there?"

"It's just this rock that I found in the snow," She hands me a dazzling blue rock and smiles as I turn it over in my hands.

You'd think that if you were constantly in the cold you would always feel it, you would constantly get the chills, feel your feet freezing, but after such a long time of being exposed you start to get used to it all. It just feels normal

"It's pretty," I say, handing the rock back to her. She drinks her soup and lies her head against a tree as we watch the dead light up the sky. 

The girl from nine, one from twelve and of course, Amabel.

After we watch the broadcast, I reapply alcohol and gauze to my shoulder and Amber quickly falls asleep. I elevate my foot and attempt to wrap it with some stalks I've found around the camp. It's been getting better as the days and hours tick by, but it is still a little sore.

I take the first watch, but Amber seems to be having a nightmare. Sweat drips down her face. Should I wake her?