Chapter 15: Trapped

Chapter 15: Trapped

Amber Blackburne District 6 Female

I've done a good job of avoiding other tributes so far and have successfully set up a series of hidden snares around my camp. They'll do a good job of catching anybody lurking around, and they may even catch me some dinner. As my hunger grows I begin to peak around my camp for any small animals that may be hiding from me. Hiding within the base of the tree I've sheltered in is a small weasel-like animal that cowers before me. I end it's life quickly with a heavy rock that I found on the edge of my camp. Placing it in a bed of snow, I quickly grab a small assortment of sticks and begin to make a fire. Not wanting to draw any attention to myself I make the fire as small as possible and begin to fashion sticks to use to roast the animal. I realize that I'll probably want to skin the animal before I eat it so I grab a stick and sharpen it as be-

SNAP!

The sound grabs my attention, and my head whips around towards the noise.

Suddenly I am staring down at a struggling girl with long black hair and her foot caught in one of my traps. She writhes and swears, trying to get her foot free.

"Don't bother, you'll just make it worse,"

The girl sighs and stops struggling before pointing a knife out at me. In response, I make one move and disarm her, pulling the knife from her hand.

"You're not in any position to be threatening me," I say.

"Don't kill me," she replies.

"Were you not planning to kill me?"

"No...no. My mentor told me I needed to find people in here. People to team with. She suggested you,"

"She did?"

"What's my name then?" I ask, testing her.

"Amber Blackburne. District 6," she responds speedily, "Can you please untie me? This is starting to hurt,"

"How do I know you're not just going to kill me?"

"I can help you...Keep my knife... do whatever you want... I don't care," she says, obviously in pain.

I decide to untie her, but keep my guard up.

"Thanks. I'm Amabel. You don't mess around with those traps, do you?"

 I shake my head in response.

"What did you mean you can help me?"

"That girl you're friends with? I passed her on my way to you. She's wounded. I can lead you to her,"

Willow Spire District 4 Female

After Giselle's outburst I slink into the shadows and sat frozen. In that moment I was so sure that they were going to find me and kill me. All of the air came out of my chest, and I didn't dare breathe again. My heartbeat was so loud that I was sure that they would be able to hear it, and that I was seconds away from being devoured by vultures. 

"We'll find her eventually Giselle," I recognize Ford's voice. I guess he took my advice and teamed with the careers.

"I don't want eventually, I want her now," she snaps back.

From my hiding place, I can see that they are about twenty feet from me diagonally. I just have to stay still and quiet, they aren't going to see me.

"I don't care who we find, we just need to take someone out, and soon," Tyran adds.

A large branch snaps over to their right and away from me.

"Over here!" Ford shouts, leading them away from me.

Making a sharp right they jog off in the opposite direction and disappear into the brush. Onyx starts yelling orders at the group, and after a minute I hear his voice trail off.  Not daring to move from my hiding place, I release the breath I was holding, and realize that I feel very faint. Black spots begin to dot my vision, and I feel as if I have to sleep. The thought of sleep is the last thing that crosses my mind before my vision goes black.

Amber Blackburne's POV District 6 Female

I stare down at the disheveled lump that is Willow Spire. Her hair swirls in random directions, and the snow beneath her shoulder is stained a dark red. Amabel moves in to shake her awake. She leans over her shoulder, and I see the gauze that has stopped some of the blood from leaving her shoulder. She is pale, and it scares me. 

"Willow," I say softly. "Willow please wake up," I say, my voice shaking. I shake her shoulder and she stirs for a brief second. "She's alive," I breathe. 

Amabel breathes a sigh of relief and then starts to work on patching up her wounds. A cannon fire and yelling close by tells me that we need to get out of here.

"Come on, let's move somewhere safe,"

Willow Spire District 4 Female

My eyelids droop and fall. As I slowly open them, all I can see are outlines of dark figures. Unfamiliar figures. My vision is so very blurry. 

"Agh........" I moan in pain, and a figure advances toward me. 

"Take it easy girl. You lost some blood back there," As the world shifts into focus I recognize it as Amber and elation fills my body.

"Amber. Oh my God, it's you," I open my arms for a hug but my shoulder resists. She comes over to me and gives a small hug.

"I'm glad I found you when I did. You were in a tough position. We moved you though. We should be safe here," I smile.

"Thank you so much. Did you get my supplies, there were some things in there we could use,"

"Yes. We got everything at your camp," another figure comes into focus and I recoil but Amber reassures me. "This is Amabel. She patched up your shoulder. She said it was worse than it looked, and is glad that you had a first aid kit on you,"

"Hi," A small girl with long black hair waves sheepishly at me. 

"Thanks for your help," I say.

"You're welcome," She replies.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Amabel asks, gesturing over to an animal she's been cooking.

I nod and scoot over to the fire, but as I do something small rustles in the bushes. Probably a rabbit. I'm quick to forget just a tiny detail.

Don't forget to vote, comment, share and follow! It really helps the story out! Thank you!