Chapter 28: He Did it Again

Willow Spire District 4 Female

"Enough questions," Onyx says curtly.

"NO. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE WITH-,"

"I SAID ENOUGH!"  Onyx takes the knife and slashes my cheek. It shuts me up. "Let's take this outside. I don't want too much blood in my cave," I can do nothing but stare.

He moves towards me and throws me over his shoulder as if he were carrying a sack of flour.

Onyx brings me to a small clearing with a few tall trees. He takes the bonds off my hands and ties my ankle, my bad ankle at that, to a short tree stump.

"You cut my bonds," I say.

"You're not going anywhere," he retorts.

"Why haven't you killed me yet?" he laughs a bone-chilling laugh again.

"You and I have something in common you know. We both desire something, we want it so bad we'd be willing to kill each and every friend three times over to get it. For me, it's glory. I do all of these terrible, horrendous things for glory. Nobody will ever be able to forget this victory. My victory, and I will never be able to forget what killing someone feels like. The adrenaline, the rush. It's unmatched, and it's encouraged by the games. When I go back I will have a future, a great life, a happy life. Women, Liquor, Money, Glory. What more could anyone ask for? What more reason would I ever need? That's my story, and you Willow you are just the same. How do they say, 'Takes one to know one?' I see it in your eyes, Willow. Every time I look at you, I see white-hot, burning desire. I just can't quite place you. Desire for what? What riddles your soul so much that it's all you can think about? It's not for love, not for glory. Not like my desires. Is it for survival? For friendship? For home? I can't pick you apart like I can others, and it drives me crazy. That's what bugs me about you. That's why I've wanted you since the beginning of this. It's always been there Willow, and it's still there now. I want to know what it is. You are such a curious article to me. What does your heart desire Willow? Tell me so you can die in peace,"

"No," The simple one-word answer roles off my tongue before I can stop it. "I'm not your puzzle to figure out," I add.

I can see that I have flipped a switch and angered Onyx. The answer came so naturally that I couldn't stop it, but I didn't want to. If I was given the opportunity to take that back, I wouldn't.

"If you're not going to tell me, I'll just bleed you out,"

"Go ahead,"

He gives one last sharpen to his sword and advances on me. The trees rustle, the wind blows, and Onyx raises his sword to kill me.

Onyx brings his arm up even further, and I draw in what will be my last breath.

"Any last words, little doll?" I nod decisively. "Freesia, I forgive you,"

Siren Mead Game Coordinator

"WHAT DID HE JUST DO?" Argent Bates screams and pounds his fists on the console table, shaking all of us.

"Fire a Cannon!" Another Game Coordinator yells.

My hands shakily dance across the console, firing a cannon to mark the recent death. In all my years as a Game Coordinator, I don't know if I've ever seen him so shaken up. Our cameras that are fixed on the town square tell us that the public is disappointed by the death, but also truly shocked. They always feel this way when a fan favorite or big contender has died.

"Siren, I thought I made it very clear. I want him dead," Argent says sharply, cutting into me.

"I've tried Sir but he's-"

"No more excuses. Kill him quickly, and make a show out of it,"

Conrad Burnett District 3 Male

I pull my knife from the skull of the deceased, wipe the blood off of it before returning it to my belt, and smile at the dazed individual feet from me.

"What did you just do?" They questioned, still in shock.

"Ever wonder about the rustle in the trees? The sound in the bushes? Or the twig snap that saved you from death time and time again? What about that you constantly were left? Did you just ignore it all, and pass the sounds off as animals?" I paused and shake my head, "Ford and I made a deal," I say proudly.

"What just happened?" They retreat and back themselves up against a stump.

"Willow Spire, I just saved your life," She looked at me, bewildered.