Chapter 4: I've Met Some Careers....

I'm pushed into a room down the stairs from my prep team's studio. In the corner there is a woman sitting on a chair reading a magazine. At first glance her head looks completly shaved, but as she turns to me I see that the side of her head hidden from me was not. Stubble was forming around a small patch on her head. She looks at me and smiles, apparently recognizing me.

As she stands up and extends her hand towards me, I see the full extent of her obscurity. Half of her head is in fact shaved, excluding the small patch on the right side of her head. I can now see the small patch forms letters and eventually a signature. I'm assuming it's hers. On the back of her head are two rather thick locks that wrap around and lay on her right shoulder. Her red dress appears to be made out of wood, and the top is the center of attention. There's an oval with layers upon layers of overlapping equilateral triangles, and a bulging red gem in the center. On either side of the gem there are warped branches that resemble the sides of a heart. The ends of the "branches" stick up like sharp points, as if they were warning people to stay away. Towards the bottom there are many intertwining branches eventually form one dress that covers her like a wooden blanket. Her feet house matching red heels.

She extends her hand and I take it, shaking it slowly, still fascinated with her appearance. 

"I'm Mindy," she says her smile never faltering. "And you're Willow," she states, seeing that I am stunned by her appearance.

 "Hi Mindy, are you my stylist?" 

"Yes I am, and I am so excited to help you!" She claps her hands in excitement and dashes out.

She returns quickly with a garment shielded with a white sheet. "I have been working on this for a very long time, I started sketching during last year's games. We need to make a few alterations, because I wasn't sure what your body would be like, but most District Four kids are the same. Today you will be a lionfish," she pulls off the sheet and reveals an elegant and shimmering one piece.

The left leg below the knee was covered in blue scales. Above the knee was a pattern of shimmering blue and off-white stripes. The right leg was cutoff above the knee, but not before a blue side swept fan-shaped fin adorned the costume. The top was sleeveless, and on the neckline of the dress there was another, larger fin. Mindy pulled the finishing touch out from behind her back. A tiara, sparkling blue.

"Mindy, it's beautiful!" my eyes sparkled like gemstones, and I couldn't wait to wear the costume. Mindy smiled, thrilled that I liked it.

"Well put it on four, let's see how it looks!" I run to the dressing room to try it on. 

The suit felt fantastic and the inner lining was neither hot nor cold on my skin. It fit well enough, though she will need to make some alterations to perfect it. The fins were not heavy, and I could easily move when I needed to. The makeup from Lux's beauty session is still flawless on my face, and my nails are still impeccable.

I step out of the dressing room to show it off to Mindy, who claps and cheers for me. She signals to a few others around us and they go on making quick alterations to the lion fish costume. To finish off the look Mindy twists my hair into an intricate up do, in which she uses locks of my hair to make a fan shape in the back. She then curls a few pieces and lets them hang freely. I look in the mirror and smile. Mindy finishes the look with the outfit's tiara.

"Remember to wave to the audience, and I know you will do fantastic." With that she kisses me on both cheeks and she directs me to the hallway to where I assume the other tributes are waiting.

I remember. Act.

As soon as I turn the corner a girl who I can only assume is a female career is waiting for me.