Chapter 9: The Start of Something Big

I wake up gasping for air, panicking in my bed, and cradling my blanket to my chest. I look around the room hurriedly and examine my surroundings. Seeing that I was laying in a bed safe and away from everything calmed me down immensely. I take a second to slow my breath down and compose myself. While doing so I realize that I don't remember anything about my nightmare, but I can guess. I realize that it's morning. As my heart rate slows down I lay my head back down on my pillow to return to sleep. As soon as I try to do so I hear a soft knock at my door. It's Lilou.

"Will you please come over and have some breakfast with us?" she asks.

"I can do that," I say, swinging my legs over the side of the bed.

As I get dressed into my suit Lilou leaves me. Knowing that my prep team will doll me up before I'm scored, I leave my face bare, pull my hair up into a messy bun, and head to our communal dining room to eat.

Lilou and Mags are waiting for me with full plates of steaming food in front of them. Mags gestures for me to sit at a plate of food. I sit down and begin to eat.

"So what are you planning?" Mags asks.

"What do you mean?" I answer.

"Well you can't just go in there and show them your skills. Your high score will give your strategy away to the other tributes,"

"I didn't think of that,"

"So, what are you going to do?"

"I'll just bomb it on purpose,"

"And ruin your opportunity to show your skills to the sponsors?" Lilou chimes in.

"Oh. I don't want to do that,"

"No you don't," Mags agrees. "If only there was a way to show them your fantastic skills but still get a low score,"

"Is there?"

"I don't know. Why don't you ask them?"

It's only a couple of hours before I'm up to be scored, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I decide to clean my plate quickly and head back to my room. I sit in my room twiddling my thumbs.

After a few minutes of thinking I hear a knock at the door.

"Come in," I say.

I turn to look and see Ford standing in the doorway. He looks fully styled and prepared for his scoring and is wearing his training suit.

"Hey. Got a minute?" he asks.

"I do, but tread carefully," I reply. He walks into my room and stands away toward the corner.

"Can do. I just wanted to come by and talk for a second,"

"About what?"

"I know that I made a bad first impression when I asked you the first time and I'm sorry about that, but I feel like things may be a bit better between us now? Or at least not bad? I just wanted to ask you again. Would you consider allying with me? If not I get it and I know that you told me to leave you alone, but Mags is telling me I have to find an ally and I-"

"Ford, I already have an ally. I don't need another. But I'll make you a deal. If I see you I won't kill you, and if you see me don't kill me, sound good?"

"Okay. I can do that,"

"Why don't you try your luck with the careers? I'm sure they'd be itching to have you,"

"I have. They like me they're just..." he trails off.

"Awful?"

"Yeah, kinda,"