Chapter 13: The Game Begins

Willow Spire District 4 Female

For the last time, Mags shakes me awake in the morning. She smiles a sad smile at me.

"Are you ready?" she asks.

"As ready as I can be,"

Ford, Lilou, Mags, and I eat a breakfast approved for tributes. Nobody says anything, and I can sense how nervous we all are.

Lux meets me up in my room to give me one final bath and blowdry before the games. She twists my hair up and out of my face, and secures it tight. I don't think it's going anywhere. I take a deep breath, grab my bracelet, and leave my room to meet Mags, Ford, and Lilou. We make our way to the lobby where Capitol soldiers are waiting for us. The soldiers march all of us out the front doors where a hovercraft sits, ready to take us to the arena. Mags and Lilou bid us farewell and let us know they will try their best to see us before they send us off.

As we enter the hovercraft I notice the windows are all blacked out. I assume this is so we can't see where we are going. After we are roughly strapped into our seats trackers are injected into our arms. I make it a point to wince in front of everyone. Giselle laughs.

They fly us away for a while in a direction that I cannot determine, and we all sit in silence. I feel us start to land and I take a deep breath. We file out, are each handed our arena suit, and are then escorted to our respective pod rooms. I quickly change and walk inside.

"Willow," Mags exclaims as I open the door. 

"Thanks for coming to see me. Where's Lilou?"

"With Ford," she replies, "We don't have a lot of time, but I wanted to see you before they sent you up. "I want you to remember everything we talked about,"

"Don't be predictable. No water bottle or backpack is worth my life. Find water and food. Keep running from center until I know that I'm safe,"

"Right. And what's the most important thing?"

"I can't count myself out. It just makes it easier to die,"

"You're right. And your suits tells me you were right about the climate too," she eyes the fabric, which is warm and coated to be water resistant. "You can win this. I can't wait to take you back home to your family," She smiles at me and gives me one last hug.

"FIFTEEN SECONDS TO LAUNCH,"  The pod calls out. A soldier gestures to the pod, saying that it's time for me to go. 

As I step onto the plate the doors to the pod close and I stand inside glass, gripping my token tight. I wave goodbye to Mags, close my eyes and rise to my impending doom.

Conrad Burnett District 3 Male

As I rise up into the arena I am met by a sudden snap of cold air that seems to frost my lungs as I breath in. My breath appears again in front me after I breathe out, mocking me with its escape. I watch above the Cornucopia as the timer begins to count down, starting with fifty-nine. Looking around I see that almost every inch of the ground is covered by a couple inches of fresh snow. The trees in the surrounding forest are painted in white ice and icicles hang down from the barren branches like ready weapons. The forest surrounds the Cornucopia on all sides, as if the center is the eye of the approaching storm. I turn the wheel and axel, my token, over in my hands. It's a simple machine, but it will carry me very far. Two wheels connected by a three inch axel. I start to disassemble it. Two heavy wheels, each one meant for a specific person. Giselle and Felicity. I know this could get me in real trouble and it might kill me, but it needs to be done for the benefit of everyone here. I look around to find my two targets, and as I do, I realize I won't be totally successful.