Chapter 8: Training With Mags

Chapter 8: Training with Mags

After the events of the previous night I sleep soundly. Lilou comes into my room and shakes me awake. My blue eyes flutter open and I sit up in my bed, still drowsy. I quickly get dressed in my training suit, and Lilou leads me down a flight of stairs to a private session with Mags. Today I finally get the chance to train with her, and I am very excited. After learning of my strategy, Mags suggested that instead of going to the next two days of training I train privately with her. She was the first victor to come from our district, and everyone at home grew up on her games. I'm interested to see what she has to say to me before we compete.

I open up the door to see Mags waiting for me. She smiles, opens her arms for a hug, and I receive it happily.

"How are you feeling?" she asks.

"Feeling okay. Scared,"

"That makes sense. I was too," she says. "And you be stupid not to be," she adds. "We just need to channel that fear into something productive,"

"Okay,"

"Do you want to talk strategy first? Or combat?"

"Either,"

"Okay, then let's talk strategy. As far as the Cornucopia goes, I would recommend staying out of it all, unless you are allied with the careers. Only go into the center if you see something worth dying for. No single water bottle, or rope, or dagger is worth your life. Once you get out of there just keep running. Get far away from everyone,"

"That makes sense,"

"Have you been practicing basic survival skills? Fire starting, weaving, basic first aid?"

"Yeah, that's all I've been doing really,"

"Fantastic. A couple things to think about. You won't survive long without water, so make that your top priority. Don't trust water that you just find out in the open. There's no telling who has tampered with it, whether it be the the capitol or another tribute. Do yourself a favor and boil any water before you drink it. If possible,"

"Got it,"

"Another thing. You need to conserve your energy, especially regarding food. It takes just as much energy to catch a bird as it does a rabbit, but the rabbit will give you much more meat. If you are wounded do your best to keep your wounds as clean as you can, and keep yourself safe and hidden when you sleep,"

"I've heard rumors that this year's arena will be snowy. Do you have any advice for that type of arena?"

"If it is a cold arena, you need to find a way to keep yourself warm, whether that be finding or weaving a blanket. Keep your head covered if you can. The capitol has found a way to create fire without smoke, and getting yourself a box of those matches would be imperative. You can't give yourself away with smoke. I can teach you how to weave a little if you like?"

"That sounds great,"

For the next two hours Mags teaches me how to weave a snug basket and flat piece of fabric. She instructs me how to keep the weave just tight enough that it can hold things and keep almost all water out, but not so tight that the weave collapses on itself.

After the weaving I go to eat dinner with Lilou and Mags. During the dinner Mags instructs me to drink as much water as I possibly can in the next couple of days. She also informs me that tomorrow will be combat training with her.

The night is uneventful, but I do get a rest. I woke to breakfast waiting for me, and ate it happily. I sit idly in my room until Mags comes to get me.