Motorboating

Haley's POV

HaleyHolland99: my dad got my mom a boat for her birthday, so of course we had to take it out

2.3k likes

"Okay. It's my birthday, which means I'm one year older and one year closer to my ultimate demise." my mom said, cracking open another beer while my dad drove the boat. "And while this boat is a great present, what I really want for my birthday is a grand baby."

"I'm trying here." Ethan said, also a little tipsy. "She won't listen to me either."

"Damn. Fine. I'll have a baby." I sighed.

"Really?" My mom, Lacey, my dad, and Ethan asked, turning to look towards me.

"Yep." I nodded. "Just as soon as I learn how to swim. I feel like that's a skill I should have before I have a kid."

"Well that's never going to happen." My dad laughed, turning back to pay attention to the water. "We've been trying since you were one to teach you how to swim and it hasn't worked yet."

"Exactly." I said, taking a sip of my drink. "And besides, I can't enjoy my very first sip of alcohol ever on my birthday if I'm pregnant."

"You literally have alcohol in your hand right now." Lacey said looking at me.

"This is juice." I said shrugging.

............

"Go eavesdrop." I whispered, sitting beside Lacey, and starring at my mom, dad, and Ethan talking in the kitchen.

"What? No. You do it." She said, pushing me away from her.

"I tried. They stopped talking when I walked by." I sighed, "just go in there and get a drink or something and see what they are saying."

"What's in it for me?"

"Why does something have to be in it for you? Just do me this solid."

"Again, I ask why."

"Because I used to drive you around everywhere and you owe me."

"Fine." She sighed, getting up off the couch and walking towards the kitchen. I heard tiny footsteps behind me and I turned around the around to see Journi walking down the hallway from her room.

"What are you doing awake?" I asked, walking over to her. She rubbed her eyes before holding her hands up on the air for me to pick her up.

"There's a spida on my pillow." She said, resting her head in my neck as I walked back over to the couch.

"What? No there's not." I laughed.

"Yes there is." She fought back.

"Journi, it was a plastic spider and I put it back in your toy box before you went to sleep. It's not there anymore."

"Mmm hmm." She mumbled, her thumb finding her mouth and her eyes closing.

"You just wanted me to hold you until you fell asleep didn't you?"

"Mmm hmm." She nodded. I rolled my eyes and went back to watching, trying to see what was happening in the kitchen.

Why didn't I learn how to read lips when I had the chance?

Lacey came back into the living room and sat down on the couch with her glass of water.

"So?" I asked, raising my eyebrow at her.

"So what?" She asked asked back.

"What are they talking about?"

"Something." She shrugged.

"Are you going to tell me or?"

"I said I'd go in there, I never said I'd tell you what they were talking about."

"Okay. I'll remember that they next time you need something from me." I sighed, rolling my head back against the couch and tightening my arms around Journi so she wouldn't fall.

"Yeah whatever." She said getting back up and walking down the hall, probably to her room.

"Looks like it's just you and me Journi."
............

"Haley, wake up."'

"Go away." I whispered.

"You can't sleep on the couch."

"Yes I can. I think we've concluded that I can sleep anywhere Ethan."

"Well you need to go your sister down and then you might as well come to your room when you're done."

"You make a valid argument," I said opening my eyes and starring right at him. "Are you going to try and put a baby in me again tonight?"

"You keep being so amazing with your little sister and I just might." I could tell he was joking but I still glared at him, while I was standing up off the couch.

"Stay here. I don't want you to get any ideas while I'm tucking her in." I said, pointing my finger at him before walking down the hallway.

I opened the door to her room and walked over to her bed, turning down the blanket before going to lay her down.

"No." She yelled, wrapping her arms tighter around my neck as I tried to lay her down.

"Pumpkin you've got to go to bed." I sighed.

"No."

"Journi. You need to go to bed."

"I wanna sleep in you room." I sighed and walked back out of her room.

"Just this one time, okay?"

I walked back into the living room and sighed.

"Ha, I've got a scapegoat now. No funny business for you tonight." I said walking past Ethan to the staircase. In the new house, I got upgraded from a basement bedroom to an attic bedroom.

"She got you whipped." He laughed following me up the stairs.

"Yeah yeah. What we're you talking to my parents about earlier?" I asked, hoping to get some kind of answer out of him.

"Something." He muttered as I sat down on the edge of my bed.

"Conspiring with my parents?" I asked laying down, Journi immediately cuddling into my side.

"It's not conspiring." He said kissing the top of my head before laying down on the other side of me.

"Well that's why I'm calling it until you tell me what it is." I sighed, reaching back and grabbing his arm to wrap it around my waist.

"You'll find out soon enough," he said, pulling my closer to him.

"Ow." He groaned. "Did you just hit me?"

"Wasn't me." I laughed.

"Journi, why'd you hit me?" He asked.

"You took my Hawey."

"She's still right here. All I did was move her closer to me." He argued. Is he really trying to reason with a two year old.

"I don't care." She mocked, moving closer to me since she was no longer curled into my chest.

"You still want a kid Ethan?" I asked, laughing at the situation.

"Yep."

I have like six chapters to publish. Have fun binge reading